Author Topic: The Bell Hotel Leicester  (Read 12849 times)

TINAHARRISON

The Bell Hotel Leicester
« on: 21:37:32, 30/09/11 »
Anyone who has information of the Bell Hotel Leicester or worked there during the 1960's I would love to hear from you ansd if you have any pics/photos even better!

flyer

Re: The Bell Hotel Leicester
« Reply #1 on: 13:46:25, 02/10/11 »
all the ones Iknew are dead even my Mother who drank the place dry on many a night,I sort of think she was pickled from all that Gin because she lived to 90

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #2 on: 22:49:55, 06/10/11 »
Does any one remember the BELL HOTEL in Leicester......demolished in 1970(I think)

Johned

« Reply #3 on: 14:05:42, 11/10/11 »
The Bell Hotel epitomised to me one of those things typical of the quality of life.  Back in the fifties when I was wont to patronize the old place, I used to relax on one of the commodious sofas therein and quietly enjoy my libations in comparitive peace!

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #4 on: 23:05:31, 15/10/11 »
HI,
Thanks for your feed back. Do you know if there are any web sites in relation to the Bell Hotel or reference books? Tina

Jan

« Reply #5 on: 07:01:43, 28/10/11 »
Tina
I do remember The Bell Hotel. It stood in Humberstone Gate opposite Lewis' and even had a cobbled forecourt when the mail coaches coming from London (in times gone by) could pull in for travellors to alight and where ostlers changed horses. There were stabling areas also.
My memories of Leicester go back to pre late 1960-1970 era when traffic was allowed through there and even round the clocktower. Actually it was quite a ride in a double decker to get around the Clock Tower and many times I wondered how the drivers didnt topple into it.
I often walked through that way to and from school in the 50's (that was in Elbow Lane) and the Corporation Buses all used to drop off and pick up outside Lewis's Store. It used to become quite a bottle neck and those double decker buses belonging to the Corporation were a maroon and cream compared to the Leicester City Transport buses that were bright red.
Regards and thanks for taking me down memory lane for a few brief minutes.
Jan xxx

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #6 on: 11:53:13, 28/10/11 »
hi Jan,
thanks for the detailed description! I also remember Lewis's however was only a baby when the Bell was pulled down. I am currently searching for a person who worked there as a junior chef but not having much luck. Did you ever go in to the Bell? I have heard that it was some what 'upper class? I have also spent time looking for pictures but there are only 2 on the internet! It would be great to hear from any one who worked there around 1968/69. Thanks again for your input.
Kind regards
Tina

grapes

« Reply #7 on: 21:43:41, 16/12/11 »
I remember going past the Bell on the morning after the night of the Police Ball in the early 1960s. There were crates, glasses and bottles piled high over the pavement. It was well known that in pre-breathalyzer days the Police Ball was the booziest do of the year (it even beat the Licensed Victuallers Ball and that took some doing). And of course they all drove home afterwards. Sometimes people forget that you could be done for drunken driving even in those days. But I doubt that anyone was on that night.

A few years later (breathalyzer now in force) I moved to a town and started a job where is was customary to take lunch at the pub across the road from the main police station. The bike traffic cops used to come in for their lunches too which usually included a couple of pints, before going out on duty. Not much changes.

sssssssssnake

« Reply #8 on: 22:53:17, 22/12/11 »
my Mate Colin Hall was a porter there in  mid 60's

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #9 on: 20:24:51, 22/02/12 »
Hi,
Me again!dont seem to be having much luck in terms of finding photos of the Bell Hotel which was knocked down in early 70's! anyone know of any books ,newspaper clippings,other media stuff or anything else(basically!) Thourght that the internet would be the path way to all of my curiosities in relation to this well to do hotel, however the search continues!!!Wish me luck and share any ideas please!!!!

Rodders

« Reply #10 on: 16:01:56, 23/02/12 »
I only have one if that's any good to you.

the_motownman

« Reply #11 on: 22:37:58, 11/03/12 »
i remember it well. i have one of the brass door handles from it. such a shame that whole block is gone. all in the name of progress. i call it the rape of our once wonderfull town center. not much of Leicester left now.

Colin

« Reply #12 on: 22:53:38, 18/03/12 »
There are a few photos of the Bell Hotel on the My Leicestershire History website in the Vanished Leicester section.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #13 on: 23:03:34, 26/03/12 »
Hi sssssssssssssssssnake,
Thanks for the info, is your mate still with us? if so did he work with a steve kelly around that time and what was is like in relation to working in such a hotel? decor, people, roomsect

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #14 on: 23:07:52, 26/03/12 »
i remember it well. i have one of the brass door handles from it. such a shame that whole block is gone. all in the name of progress. i call it the rape of our once wonderfull town center. not much of Leicester left now.

My goodness what a great thing to have! I have looked endlessly on the net for any items for saale from that The Bell. How did you manage to get hold of them?

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.