Author Topic: The Bell Hotel Leicester  (Read 15144 times)

dave wainwright

Re: The Bell Hotel Leicester
« Reply #30 on: 20:43:15, 07/02/13 »
Hi Tina ...No sorry cant remember that name

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #31 on: 21:00:35, 07/02/13 »
apologies  was joe burns!!!he didnt mix with the staff!so not surprised you dont recall him. i found some great photos of the bell...including the garage at the back!

dave wainwright

« Reply #32 on: 21:22:27, 07/02/13 »
The garage was run by a relative of Garry Power...(Engelbert Humperdink)...if thats how you spell it...lol
he used to come and fill his car with petrol all the time..
there was also an older chef who did all the grilling...his name was Frank,,
Can i ask did you work there????

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #33 on: 18:26:41, 08/02/13 »
hi..no i didnt work there infact it was demolished shortly after i was born. As i stated my intention is to find steve kelly(who seems to have disappeared!) although i love to hear about the bell and over this past year..have become quite fond of it!wish i could have seen it..i think it must have been lovely when it was first built!!am thinking of making a scrap book of the information i have found...and continue to find!!!it is so interesting..love buildings...

think i may have to get in touch with mr humperdink haha...you will have to have a look at the photos on leicestershirehistory web site!!! :) they  really quite good!i think that you ould like them...it may also jog a few more memories???? ::)

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #34 on: 23:40:27, 16/02/13 »
have found a bell hotel luggage tag...in america!

librarian

« Reply #35 on: 15:09:28, 19/02/13 »
Ive only found a page on Facebook with pictures, I guess most of you might know about it. It looked nice, shame that it was demolished.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #36 on: 22:35:42, 19/02/13 »
yep have seen those ones....its crazy how such a huge building appears to have little recorded recognition!!! maybe i am looking in the wrong place haha :)

Bob Spencer

« Reply #37 on: 18:13:35, 28/04/13 »
Hi Dave,

I worked at the Bell in the 60's in the restaurant under Mr. Glass.  I was second head waiter after Frank Wright.  Don Barr and Ray Voltro (not sure of spelling) were lounge waiters.  Other staff I remember were Merrill Gordon and his brother Cecil (both in kitchen) also Ali the k.p. and Steve Bull - worked in the stores.
Dining room staff I can think of are Richard Tuck, Les Townsend, Bill Thompson, Bob Lewis (who I would really like to catch up with), Mrs. Cobley and Rose Hisllop and her daughters Jayne and Amanda(?), Robbie Robson and Jimmy the Turk.  The night porters were Old Jim and Young Jim.  Receptionists Jill Owen and Liz Lumby.  Douglas Hildreth was bell boy.
I do have photos of early days staff parties which I could copy if required.

Bob Spencer

dave wainwright

« Reply #38 on: 21:34:08, 28/04/13 »
Hi Bob..
  I do remember your name.
 yes i worked in the kitchen with Mike Dean-Smith, John Hobley ..Ali who did the veg
a guy called Frank who was on the grill....Bill the second chef and his brother who
did the breakfast and larder...
   Looking back I was a Cheeky little bugger in them days...lol
I used to go out with Jayne Hisllop....and a young casual waitress called Doreen Hale
from Syston..
After the Bell i went with Mike to Jersey C.I.
I lived in Wigston at the time...
I remember there was a big assistant manager who years later i met up with in aberyswith.
ive got some very fond memories of the Bell and would love some photos if you wouldnt mind.
Ive got my own small motel and restaurant now out here in Australia
lol...cant give up cooking...
all the best...Dave

flyer

« Reply #39 on: 02:45:47, 29/04/13 »
apologies  was joe burns!!!he didnt mix with the staff!so not surprised you dont recall him. i found some great photos of the bell...including the garage at the back!
So heres the story ,Joe Burns was selling ice cream from horse &cart in Sheffield when Italy came into the war came home a little bloody his cart had been turned over by some Sheffield rough mumberling i told them I was Irish begorra, to see the funny side u had to be there,hasty move to Leicester, he must have been boiler man at the Bell for at least 20 yrs,Oh did I tell u he ran off with my mother and all us kids got put in the hell hole they called Fullwood Homes  >:( >:(

dave wainwright

« Reply #40 on: 04:18:13, 29/04/13 »
Hi Tina..
  LOL..ive had nothing on this subject since you last contacted me till today and 2 in one day..
i got a message from a Bob Spencer who was the  second head waiter under Mr Glass..
He was saying he as some photos.im waiting to see if he passes them on..
i dont know if he as been intouch with you but if he sends them to me i will pass them on

Bob Spencer

« Reply #41 on: 10:16:13, 29/04/13 »
Hi Dave,

If you can forward me your e-mail address I will look out the photos and post copies on to you.

Any idea what happened to Bob Lewis?  Last time I saw him he was at Henlow Grange in Bedfordshire.

Best wishes,
Bob

dave wainwright

« Reply #42 on: 11:54:26, 29/04/13 »
Hi Bob..
  No sorry since i started looking you are the only ex-staff member
ive had contact with..
My e-mail address
[email protected]
the one  person i would love to hear about would be Mike Dean-Smith
who the last i heard had moved to Africa were he became the personnel
chef to president Kevin Kounda(if that is how you spell it)
and a chef who i didnt mention before called Dave who i remember
ending up in hospital after slipping on the floor and spilling rice allover himself
Funny how little things you remember..
AS for thinking about you ...tall short fair hair..if i remember right
Look forward to hearing from you
Dave

Bob Spencer

« Reply #43 on: 18:22:21, 29/04/13 »
Hi Dave,
Have tried to forward photos to the e-mail address you gave but for some reason it failed .... any ideas?
Bob

dave wainwright

« Reply #44 on: 23:55:03, 29/04/13 »
Hi Bob..
LOL..no idea thats my private address.. try
[email protected]
thats my business address

If you are interested you can google my motel and see it
its rather unique ...lol..it really is the diamond house

diamond house stawell victoria australia

do hope that address works
Cheers
Dave

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester. Already a member? Login here.