Author Topic: Bond street maternaty hospital  (Read 11641 times)

TINAHARRISON

Bond street maternaty hospital
« on: 20:16:28, 01/10/11 »
Hi does any one have any photos or memories of Bond Street maternaty hospital? I was born there in 1969 and I know it was knocked down a short while after. Any info would be appreciated!

flyer

Re: Bond street maternaty hospital
« Reply #1 on: 21:56:21, 01/10/11 »
my daughter was born there in 60 old but nice place my wife wasin there for about 10 days not like today when they kick you out after half day O0 O0

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #2 on: 22:39:46, 01/10/11 »
Thanks for your reply, Do you know when it was knocked down? what year was your daughter born? I was born in 1969 and I think the hospital was knocked down shotly after? are there any records or references that you are aware of?

flyer

« Reply #3 on: 13:41:36, 02/10/11 »
daughter was born in 60 came to Canada in 65 so dont know when it was pulled down

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #4 on: 21:38:17, 02/10/11 »
Thanks for your reply, have you any memories of the hospital that you can remember and decription of the maternity ward ect? so you in canada?

flyer

« Reply #5 on: 18:07:07, 13/10/11 »
yes now in Canada at 77 the brain cells not what they was so dont remember to much of my visits  all in dorms about 20 to a room all the new moms with red shiny faces now me I never felt a thing

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #6 on: 19:04:08, 24/10/11 »
Wow thats along way from sunny Leicester! I was born in the hospital back in 69! There doesnt seem to be much info in relation to the history of the building! Thanks for your reply I will try and use my imagination and visualize all of those dads waiting with a cuppa while the women did all the hard work! Tina

Alan

« Reply #7 on: 19:03:02, 26/10/11 »
Born there 22-8-38.  do not remeber it but i can never recall anything bad said about it in the following years by mum. All my four kids born at home.  The old midwives knew their jobs. 8)

Jan

« Reply #8 on: 06:27:47, 28/10/11 »
I was a Part 2 Student Midwife at Westcotes Maternity and graduated as a State Registered Midwife in 1968. Worked Christmas 67/68 at Bond Street to let the staff and students have their Christmas Parties.
Westcotes was a wonderful place and had real "home like" atmosphere. I also did my 3 months Distict for Part 2 around there, going from the top of Glenfields Road to Filbert St and further, on a bike with all my gear strapped on the back of the bike. The worked for 18 months as a fully qualified SRN/SCM in Highfields. I wouldnt trade that experience for the world. It was a long time ago and a long way away but my memories are crystal clear about my time in all three settings ...Westcotes, Bond Street and District Midwife in Highfields. I still have all my birth registers from those years. Maybe I even delivered some of you. ;)
I am now a retired University Professor living in British Columbia, Canada since 1975 ...but was born, (Humberstone Village) raised and educated in Leicester. Gateway Girls Grammar School.
Regards to you all
Jan ....PS I was also in the Queen Alexandras Royal Army Nursing Corps for 4 years. 

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #9 on: 12:01:38, 28/10/11 »
Jan,
How interesting! maybe you did help me come in to this world! I was born in July 1969(baby Davis) I also live in the area that you lived, not far fro St Marys church. Are you able to share any details of the wards where the babies were delivered and give me a picture of how life was for single mothers of that time? things have changed in that department and ist in and out asap when giving birth!!!!
Kind Regards
Tina
P.S Its frosty here today, bet you have lovely sunshine in Canada!!! Lucky you.

flyer

« Reply #10 on: 14:11:54, 31/10/11 »
my # 2 daughter was named after the midwife who deliver her at westcotes a Jamacan nurse by the name Linda now that was 1961

flyer

« Reply #11 on: 14:20:31, 31/10/11 »
P.S also lived Humberstone kids all grew up there so Jan is following me around the world hope this is not a case of stalking I'm begining to get quite concernd

Jan

« Reply #12 on: 19:53:28, 02/11/11 »
Well now do I start chatting about Westcotes, Bond Street or Humberstone first. I have lots of memories of all three...possibly less of Bond Street as I was more senior to the Pupil Midwives who worked there (I had already done my Part 1 Midwifery in London)
Westcotes brings many happy memories ....3 months working in the hospital and then 3 months around the district there delivering babies at home. Wonderful experience.
Westcotes was an old Victorian House just an upstairs and a downstairs divided into rooms for the Moms/babies and with Labout and Delivery Suites. It was warm, homely and cosy and had a marvellous atmosphere . It also entailed a 10 day stay after delivery. Some Moms went home early, but they were then visited by District Midwives x 2/perday for the first 3 days  and then once a day until the 10th Day. Some stayed on the books longer but this was at the discretion of the midwife.
Now Humberstone! GOOD OLD HUMBERSTONE Infants school Junior School and then 11+ and off I went to Gateway Girls Grammar School. Doctor Darks House in the village by the church (St Marys). Piggies Hollow behind Dr Darks House the most marvellous sledding and paddling area and built for we Humberstone Kids, ;) courtesy of the German Lufftwaffe jetisonning bombs.
I attended St Marys as a child and was actuallt married there in 1966. Stll married to the same person (surprise surprise)as marriage seens to be out of fashion now.
I live in BC (lived in Canada since 1975 - we got out before the EU Mess) so if I am following you around flyer ......are you sure its not the other way around?.....where are you located in Canada.
With my lve and regards to you all Jan xxx     

flyer

« Reply #13 on: 14:20:34, 04/11/11 »
Kingsville ont the most southern town in Canada small and very peacefull, kids also went to Humberstone infants, Ithink the bucher in the village felt sorry for my young wife with 3 kids use to give her the most giant pork hocks very cheap it was quite a different story when i shoped there

Alan

« Reply #14 on: 10:51:36, 11/11/11 »
Tina.  Some pictures and info on Bond Street in the November Chronicle. 8)

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.