Author Topic: WW2 - childhood - BBC program  (Read 2336 times)

celia

WW2 - childhood - BBC program
« on: 21:28:19, 27/02/12 »
Hi

I am a researcher for Evans Woolfe Media, an educational production company. We are working with BBC Learning on a program for primary school students on what it was like being a child during the war.

I found the War Time Leicester website while looking online.

Does anyone know of anyone who was a child during the war in Leicester, or anywhere really, who would be willing to talk to me about their experiences ....

My contact number is 07886571661 or you can reach me at celia [at] evanswoolfe [dot] com .

All the best,
Celia Watson

flyer

Re: WW2 - childhood - BBC program
« Reply #1 on: 05:22:43, 28/02/12 »
For 98% of kids view the war as almost fun, we were firm in the believe that we would win in the end,a good movie to watch was Land of hope & glory

celia

« Reply #2 on: 13:06:38, 28/02/12 »
If that's the case, then that's the story that we show.

Were you a child during the war?

flyer

« Reply #3 on: 14:28:20, 29/02/12 »
yes in Sheffield went though all the raids and came out smiling,I did say most kids i do know of two or three who was the only ones came out of a hit, spent a lot of time in the air raid selter drinking coco

jazzaroo

« Reply #4 on: 00:48:32, 12/06/12 »
Hi I was born in 1940 and have an elder sister , she was ten yrs old in 1945 and remembers more than me. I have many memories but the one that affected me most was that i did not connect with my father until i was 5 years old  and the result was that we never really bonded, great dad but both my younger brother and sister were treated very differently  to me. with regard to wartime childhood it was great as we knew nothing else, fortunately South Leicester was not really a target for the germans despite Glen Parva barracks being vitually on our doorstep, but yes ,I do remember gas masks , Air raid shelters and barage ballons and it was always great to see my seven uncles when they came on leave, amazingly  they all survived war action  but several of them died young with what i think were war related illnesses, very sad but thats how it was.   

Dennis Neal

« Reply #5 on: 18:48:55, 30/12/12 »
Sorry to have picked this up so late but have spent too many of the past few months in hospital.
I was born in 1929 and spent the wartime years in Leicester. If still open, I shall be pleased to talk to you.
Dennis

jazzaroo

« Reply #6 on: 23:08:03, 30/12/12 »
Hi Dennis, sorry to hear that you have not been enjoying the best of health, good that you are back on the site, keep the memories coming,   Roy