Author Topic: Leicester Market - Old style  (Read 2711 times)

ice-cream

Leicester Market - Old style
« on: 19:24:33, 06/12/12 »
My Saturday job was working in the Ross's Ice-Cream parlour in the market, I worked with Bill, Les, and Chris it was one of my best jobs, albeit very hard work when it was a hot day and I was always breaking the cones!! It was also where I met my first boyfriend....
I also remember when I got paid I would go to Revolver record shop and buy the lastest single or LP

dazza

Re: Leicester Market - Old style
« Reply #1 on: 20:19:32, 27/12/12 »
How long ago was that?

ice-cream

« Reply #2 on: 10:58:18, 28/12/12 »
Dazza you should never ask women age related things   ;D It was 1986ish

flyer

« Reply #3 on: 20:25:44, 26/01/13 »
My Saturday job was working in the Ross's Ice-Cream parlour in the market, I worked with Bill, Les, and Chris it was one of my best jobs, albeit very hard work when it was a hot day and I was always breaking the cones!! It was also where I met my first boyfriend....
I also remember when I got paid I would go to Revolver record shop and buy the lastest single or LP
my mother Stood leicester market all through the war we joined in 46, second hand cloths NO coupons, given to understand the very first pair of nylons was sold from our stall just cant understand how we came by them because they was for export only in the early days,

ice-cream

« Reply #4 on: 19:27:26, 27/01/13 »
So you worked in the old and new market..your stall must have been on the side where Gadbsys was (is)  ::)

Dennis Neal

« Reply #5 on: 09:55:14, 11/02/13 »
I remember Leicester market in the 1930's.
I always went out with my dad on saturday afternoon to different places but always finished up at the market just as it was packing up for the weekend.
We would go to the fish market and invariably come away with a real treat at little or no cost. Because there was little refrigeration then, everything had to be cleared or thrown away. I remember we had mussels and kippers quite often for our saturday supper.
It was always a great experience then, the market was such a lively place and full of real characters.
Dennis

flyer

« Reply #6 on: 01:14:22, 16/02/13 »
Grandma and mother stood across from the fish market there was a thin row of stalls that ran right to the top end of the market use to go down to that Gov; run eatery fof cheap dinners

Dennis Neal

« Reply #7 on: 09:15:15, 16/02/13 »
Well done Flyer, had forgotten about the "British Restaurant".  These were set up during the war and you could get a cheap meal of sorts without using your precious rations.
Dennis

flyer

« Reply #8 on: 15:44:50, 16/02/13 »
thats right British restaurant's I'd forgot the name ,wonder when they ceased pretty sure still there in the 50s

Johned

« Reply #9 on: 19:31:15, 18/05/13 »
I think Flyer that the British Restaurants ceased not longer after the cessation of hostilities.  I read that even our post war Labour government were not too happy about their existence as, even to them, the idea smacked of communism and was unfair competition to the cafe trade, such as it was in those days.  Before the advent of school dinners, I used to meet my mother at her factory gates at lunchtime and off we would go the the BR.  Ours was presided over by a large, formidable lady who kept the queue of would-be diners in line by deftly weilding a lethal soup ladle.   at 

Johned

« Reply #10 on: 19:35:08, 18/05/13 »
To conclude my previous post, the price was I think a shilling for three courses.  It was a brilliant welfare idea which in my opinion, is a pity could not be implemented today.  No-one would have an excuse for not having eaten a nourishing meal at a most economical price!
Can't see any government introducing this measure.

flyer

« Reply #11 on: 21:07:27, 18/05/13 »
I'd give it 49 that was when i started work as a baker in the works canteens(BTU)at 15 I was gave  my own place Rolls Royce at Mount Sorrel, the old dears who use to mother me had to let me know sugar was still on ration, i was using more than my allowance,you know with those big fat sugar covered doughnuts,real ones deep fried real dough not the slop passed off today,and couldn't make to many sausage rolls, mind u not a lot of meat with my bread crumb & potatoe mix O0 O0 O0

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.