Author Topic: the demolition of the bell hotel Leicester  (Read 2987 times)

TINAHARRISON

the demolition of the bell hotel Leicester
« on: 17:57:32, 05/02/13 »
has anyone got any pics..information about the bell hotel that was demolished in the 60s????

David Soutar

Re: the demolition of the bell hotel Leicester
« Reply #1 on: 23:01:13, 23/12/13 »
Hi Tina, just had reason to google the bell hotel and read all you questions re the 60's. I worked there as a student waiter while studying catering management at the Central Institute on Pocklingtons Walk. I remember Mr Glass and was resposible for organising student for  the balls and dinner dances, which where well attended and lasted well into the night. The ball room was down the stairs form the ballroom bar area( I also worked in the bar) and had a lovely glass rainbow ceiling. Most nights it was a dance band playing not disco. If we worked late we were given taxis home (Highfields Cabs black and white cars). I did do a couple of sessions in the men only bar that  looked out onto Humberstone Gate.

DAS

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #2 on: 20:26:31, 14/01/14 »
That s amazing....I would have loved to have been able to see the old building...it may well have offered some comfort!finding staff records is a blooming night mare :-\  have you any pictures????

flyer

« Reply #3 on: 08:10:34, 15/01/14 »
My low life half brother spent time inbetween going back to jail in the boiler room at the Bell his Dad Joe Burns must have been boiler man for 30 plus years he had his little room and lived down there (nice little cave)

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #4 on: 17:21:01, 15/01/14 »
Hi..firstly sorry to hear of your recent loss :-[

Thanks for the response...I am not having much luck with finding information about the bell hotel in Leicester...tried many ways but at the brick wall now!!thinking out of the box...any suggestions are greatly received O0

davegray

« Reply #5 on: 17:37:10, 23/01/14 »
Hi Tina, i wonder if u remember my sister Pat Gray ? She was a live in chaimbermaid at the bell hotel in the sixsties.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #6 on: 20:24:58, 29/01/14 »
Hi..afraid not..I didnt actualy work there..searching for a Steve Kelly who did!is your sister still with you?she may well have worked with Steve..who also lived at the Bell?if there are any photos you are willing to share of what your sister looks like..or any of her working days i would be happy to send you my e mail?thanks so much..it may well be a step closer to the end of my journey O0all the best Tina

Barry Pole

« Reply #7 on: 09:27:17, 04/06/14 »
The Bell Hotel this brings back memories of my enterprising dad George Pole. Who bought all sorts of odd things from the Bell to on sell. Leicester icons gone demolished but not forgotten hey chaps.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #8 on: 18:45:47, 10/06/14 »
Wow..oh how I have search for some items from the Bell with no luck!!!where have all the things gone???? ???

Rodders

« Reply #9 on: 21:57:40, 04/09/14 »
Just come across this pic of the Bell Hotel which I havent seen before.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #10 on: 21:42:20, 11/10/14 »
 :D...Thanks! Wow. .haven't seen this before. .where is it from?

Barry Pole

« Reply #11 on: 21:56:07, 11/10/14 »
Tina , google, The Bell Hotel leicester employees, a photo on this may interest you. If not seen before.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #12 on: 22:20:28, 15/10/14 »
Many thanks :D I will have a look!

Barry Pole

« Reply #13 on: 03:24:45, 17/10/14 »
Your welcome, let me know of any outcome Tina. Hope this finds you fit and well.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.