Author Topic: Portland Street, Leicester  (Read 1423 times)

Poulton Bob

Portland Street, Leicester
« on: 23:20:51, 06/02/13 »
My grandmother lived at 1 Portland Street, up to the late 1940s.  Can anyone enlighten me as to exactly where Portland Street was located.  I remember going there as a very small child and it no longer appears on any maps of the city.

Joany

Re: Portland Street, Leicester
« Reply #1 on: 13:27:33, 08/07/13 »
Portland Street , Belgrave, Leicester is now called Portsmouth Road .  go online to OLD LEICESTER STREET NAMES can't believe how many have changed since I was last there about 30 years ago.

Poulton Bob

« Reply #2 on: 13:56:22, 08/07/13 »
Thanks Joany, you are right, it's all changed. I get lost every time I visit

flyer

« Reply #3 on: 01:37:45, 09/07/13 »
Portland Street , Belgrave, Leicester is now called Portsmouth Road .  go online to OLD LEICESTER STREET NAMES can't believe how many have changed since I was last there about 30 years ago.
My mother was willed 4 row houses on portsmouth  first rd passed Melton turn, back then my mother tryed to give them to the tenants as the rent was so pityfull small it never paid for the upkeep, and as there was rent control in the 50s/60s all turned my mother down they rather pay couple of bob a week and have free upkeep bet someone wishers they had taken a free house today

flyer

« Reply #4 on: 10:04:57, 09/07/13 »
Thanks Joany, you are right, it's all changed. I get lost every time I visit
So just when did it change its name must have been late 40s ran between Loughborough rd and Melton rd first past melton turn

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.