Author Topic: CANTRELL ROAD  (Read 4610 times)

m1pete

CANTRELL ROAD
« on: 10:40:12, 09/06/07 »
Yes I remember Cowdall road as I did not live far away on Cantrell Road, with its four shops and a working mens club, goalkeeper Peter shilton's dad Les run one of the food shops number 7 I think, and Mr. Seabrook run one too, we would buy our meat from Mr. mortimers butchers and buy nick nacks from Mrs. Jordons shop.
The working mens club was always full with people playing bingo and listenning to the music bands that played, did Engillbert ever play I wonder, Mr. Flannigan was in charge and no kid would mess with him.
We all played football on the green and Mr. Waren would soon come out and move us on, I am calling the police he would say, and he did most of the time, the Water Works was the best place to play, the size of a fotball ground we would say, we would make rope swings in the spinny and play all day.
I remember Mr. Young who always walked passed with his car batery? and Bert with all his girls, Chan that fixed cars, Jim with his 6 kids, Mr. Parmer with his big mouth, Mr. Harding he drove a big van. and Buster too.
I just wish that I could go back to them times long ago.

jobee

Re: CANTRELL ROAD
« Reply #1 on: 19:50:56, 20/06/07 »
you bring back many memories-john bishop cowdall rd

jobee

« Reply #2 on: 09:06:01, 29/07/07 »
 :2funny:

jobee

« Reply #3 on: 18:31:27, 29/07/07 »
Were you refering to big John Parmer who died recently

m1pete

« Reply #4 on: 20:35:59, 01/08/07 »
Did he,  I did not know that.  Sorry to hear it, I think most of the people that was adults at that time are getting old.  I think only one or two are left now, very sad.

m1pete

« Reply #5 on: 01:10:40, 28/09/07 »
Heres an interesting website for memories of Braunstone.

http://www.stpetersbraunstone.org.uk/

O0

jobee

« Reply #6 on: 14:22:36, 03/10/07 »
Did he,  I did not know that.  Sorry to hear it, I think most of the people that was adults at that time are getting old.  I think only one or two are left now, very sad.

WERE you refering to big john palmer-- he was 6 foot seven tall and alchololic

jobee

« Reply #7 on: 19:32:59, 04/10/07 »
Yes I remember Cowdall road as I did not live far away on Cantrell Road, with its four shops and a working mens club, goalkeeper Peter shilton's dad Les run one of the food shops number 7 I think, and Mr. Seabrook run one too, we would buy our meat from Mr. mortimers butchers and buy nick nacks from Mrs. Jordons shop.
The working mens club was always full with people playing bingo and listenning to the music bands that played, did Engillbert ever play I wonder, Mr. Flannigan was in charge and no kid would mess with him.
We all played football on the green and Mr. Waren would soon come out and move us on, I am calling the police he would say, and he did most of the time, the Water Works was the best place to play, the size of a fotball ground we would say, we would make rope swings in the spinny and play all day.
I remember Mr. Young who always walked passed with his car batery? and Bert with all his girls, Chan that fixed cars, Jim with his 6 kids, Mr. Parmer with his big mouth, Mr. Harding he drove a big van. and Buster too.
I just wish that I could go back to them times long ago.

DID YOU MEEN 'CHAN'GURNEY WHO FIXED CARS--HE LIVED ON AVIARY HILL

m1pete

« Reply #8 on: 18:57:34, 18/10/07 »

WERE you refering to big john palmer-- he was 6 foot seven tall and alchololic

m1pete

« Reply #9 on: 19:05:30, 18/10/07 »
I must mean a different  John Palmer, the one that I am on about was very short, about 5 feet.

Yes I do mean Chan Gurney, he now lives on Winiford Crescent/ Gallards Hill corner.

jobee

« Reply #10 on: 09:43:53, 21/10/07 »
WHAT IS YOUR NAME--I MAY KNOW YOU

gingernut

« Reply #11 on: 16:55:38, 18/08/11 »
hi there ,i lived in cowdall road ,and cantrel road ,the butchers shop next to the club was ran by nev curtis whos son jim still runs wraggs the butchers at leic.f. east,we both worked for arnold wragg in cantrel rd. shiltons was next door,mussons was the other side it was a clothes shop ,with hicklings the crocery shop next to that,tom flanaghan was the club gen.sec.why dont you people all look at the braunstone all site,were you can make contact with people you might know?

roy

« Reply #12 on: 15:03:55, 28/01/12 »
 :D  does anyone know or remember the coxs that lived at 111 gallards hill. there was shirlly aka shack also norman who just died several years ago. also in that household was chris. derek stuart there dads name was harold. then there was the clarkes that lived on meadwell rd #43 ithink there was george billy aka wally also charlie. john june.i used to live at 103 gallards hill my old mans name bill sherriff. he spent most of his time in the shoulder of mutton later to be renamed the falcon. i can remember times when my dad would take me around the shoulder. only to leave me outside freezing to death. i used to have great times playiing in hinckley rd spinney and on what used to be braunstone aerodrome. also used to play on the old green at the top of gallards had a friend that lived on cantrell rd his name was joe trusslove. if anyone knows or new of the people mentioned i would love to know of there wereabouts thanks in advance roy [email protected]            usa

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.