Author Topic: Coronation Day 1953  (Read 1099 times)

Johned

Coronation Day 1953
« on: 09:06:33, 08/06/13 »
What were you doing on that day?  I, with a gang of other National Service unfortunates, was under training at Glen Parva.  The night before the event we, unbelievingly, were told we could go home for a day and a night on the orders of the new Queen!  At that stage we did'nt possess uniforms and were, perforce, lent the second best uniforms of the recruit intake senior to us.  My outfit was lent by an amiable chap named Wainwright (any relatives on this site, if so thank him for the loan, if he is still around!).  I reached home late on the night before the great event but did'nt actually see much of the event on TV as I mostly slept through it being tired out by the rigorous training.

flyer

Re: Coronation Day 1953
« Reply #1 on: 13:23:24, 08/06/13 »
51to 54 was in North Africa, she did visit the war graves on her world tour, we was brought in from the desert to line the road(21mile)unwashed dirty with at least 3months of stubble and grime(water is for drinking)now must admit did she a very slight smile,coronation we was trucked back off back
 to the sand ;D ;D O0   Ps she was greeted by that bull s lot the Royal Scot Greys who use to polish there tanks with a toothbrush and 90%sure it was the Foresters at the other end who where just as bad

Dennis Neal

« Reply #2 on: 13:35:57, 08/06/13 »
I spent the day at my girlfriends house in Great Glen.
There were about 20 people there to watch the event on a tiny postcard size screen behind a magnifier which just about doubled the picture size. Black & white, of course.
Halfway through, it broke down. Amazingly, a phone call brought a repair man who got it working just in time for the crowning.
Dennis

Johned

« Reply #3 on: 19:24:02, 09/06/13 »
Flyer I think that would be 1 Foresters who were in Derna, I believe and 2 Foresters were in Celle, BAOR.  By those days one of the few remaining two battalion Regiments.  I seem to recall the policy at the time was to send regular soldiers to 1 Foresters and NSM to 2 Foresters as far as possible.  Happy days (depending how you look at it lol!).

Johned

« Reply #4 on: 19:35:47, 09/06/13 »
Denis we had a 12" screen Pye with a beautiful wooden cabinet which my mother used to assiduously polish up until it shone.  She probably thought more of the appearance of this wonderful piece of kit than the technical quality of the picture.  It worked OK in fine weather but in the field behind our house were some electricity pylons and when it rained on the insulators our TV screen was covered in fine "snow".  It cost my Dad 79 when he bought it in 1952 which was a considerable outlay in those days and complemented an HMV radio in a wooden cabinet which cost 27 and was purchased just after we had the electricity installed.  The magic of that radio for me was the short wave band enabling me to listen in (rather crackley) to far flung foreign stations.  Dad didn't really approve of my doing this as I was involved in tuning the short wave band when a valve blew and he had to return it to the shop for repair.  Despite the fact the law was laxer then with no real liability on the supplier's part to really do anything, they repaired it F.O.C but Dad always used to maintain "that lad did it, listening to that foreign jabbering!"  Bless him.   

flyer

« Reply #5 on: 22:43:25, 09/06/13 »
Flyer I think that would be 1 Foresters who were in Derna, I believe and 2 Foresters were in Celle, BAOR.  By those days one of the few remaining two battalion Regiments.  I seem to recall the policy at the time was to send regular soldiers to 1 Foresters and NSM to 2 Foresters as far as possible.  Happy days (depending how you look at it lol!).
thats right Derna its been a long time, I had tipped my bike in a tank track had thrown my tin pot into the back of a truck along with my smashed bike 3 days later nurseing a broke thumb and wrist i rolled up into the Greys camp just when they was going on works parade,now my hair was full of dirt hadn't shave for a month and with my blood shot eyes must have looked a sight, bumping into their R.S.M my hand still tucked into my leather jerkin first time i ever saw a R.S.M at a loss for words

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester. Already a member? Login here.