Author Topic: Saturday nights at The Palais and De Mont  (Read 3630 times)

Oggy

Saturday nights at The Palais and De Mont
« on: 12:10:42, 22/06/13 »
I have fond memories of dancing the night away at the Palais or watching the latest pop stars at the De Monfort Halls in the late 1950's / early 1960's.  The acts on at the De Mont included Cliff & the Drifters, Dion, Del Shannon, Gene Vincent, the Seekers and many more.  At the Palais we jived to all of the latest hits and I recall the girls putting their handbags on the floor and dancing around them to the twist.  There was a couple of local toughs called Dago & Moose and we always behaved when they were around as you didn't mess with them.  I later got to know Moose's brother when I did the Leicester Mercury walk in 1962.  I wonder if that is still going?  Does anyone else recall these places?

flyer

Re: Saturday nights at The Palais and De Mont
« Reply #1 on: 14:58:15, 22/06/13 »
use to sell hot dogs outside the Palais sat night in 54 ,now what a bunch of drunk roughs

Oggy

« Reply #2 on: 09:08:20, 23/06/13 »
I didn't start going until around 58, but I'm sure your hot-dogs would have been great.  We mostly went for the music, dancing and the girls.  We stayed well away from the drunks and troublemakers.  If you spent all of your money it was a long walk home.

Dennis Neal

« Reply #3 on: 14:37:55, 28/06/13 »
I first went to De Mont dances in November 1949 and met my wife there. Still together after all those years. Getting married meant something then!!!!!!!!!
Dennis

Oggy

« Reply #4 on: 15:27:59, 28/06/13 »
Well worth the price of entry Dennis.  Well done me duck.

Joany

« Reply #5 on: 14:44:42, 30/06/13 »
I went to the Palais with my sister most Saturday nights in 48/49 I think one of the regular bands was The Squadronaires ? I am now 80 so memory not quite so good. A lot of the chaps from the Leicester City football team used to go. Went to some concerts and dances at De Montfort Hall in the 50s  Ted Heath and his band. Joe Loss , Victor Sylvestor I think, good times.

flyer

« Reply #6 on: 23:08:23, 01/07/13 »
Yes same age as me but i sort of remember you as been quite a hottie ;D ;D

Joany

« Reply #7 on: 17:17:08, 02/07/13 »
Yeah ! right   8)

flyer

« Reply #8 on: 20:57:03, 02/07/13 »
afraid I am the worlds worst dancer and back then very shy ,so no dancing for me just hung around and watched :-[ :-[ :-[

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #9 on: 21:45:34, 03/02/14 »
Any of you guys recall a disco called MECCA???

birstall expat

« Reply #10 on: 15:51:11, 28/03/14 »
Mecca was the Leicester Palais in Braunstone Gate. I first came to Leicester, and the Palais in 1960 to join the Alan Carlos Trio. The main band was Denny Mann. After that I seemed to become part of the fittings, playing with the Alan Warwick Band, Tony Evans Band, George Derek Band, The Mike Miller Trio, and some "deps" for other bands including the Chris Jones Trio. I also played Derby Locarno and Nottingham Palais & Sherwood Rooms. Leicester was good for my family and I. We bought our first house in Birstall for 2900!, and moved to Swithland Lane in Rothley before leaving the City for good.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #11 on: 23:06:08, 06/04/14 »
Have a photo of Mecca...did you recall the Bell hotel??

O_Canada

« Reply #12 on: 20:08:45, 06/06/15 »
Hi, My Grandfathers half brother was a member of the resident band at The Palais in the late 40's, has anyone come across a web site or page of interest on The Palais during this period?
Although I don't have a lot to go on with his personal details, I'm interested to find out anthing of The Palais 40's era.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester. Already a member? Login here.