Author Topic: Warf st/Taylor st school.  (Read 2550 times)

katy p

Warf st/Taylor st school.
« on: 14:51:07, 07/10/13 »
Hello, just joined.. I am trying to find when my grandad and family moved from Wharf st to Victoria rd east as part of the slum clearance, my mam was born in 1923 at 3 Wharf st cottages... my sister was born in Victoria rd east in 1950.. also any info or pic's of taylor st school in the 1930's my mam went there.. Grandad was John Henry Marston wife Mary nee potter children Joan, Jack & May. any info appreciated. thank you. Katy p. :)

flyer

Re: Warf st/Taylor st school.
« Reply #1 on: 19:04:07, 12/10/13 »
Still a very rough and scary place in the 40s and 50s my father -in -law was in the police and did not like going down on his dayly and he was 300 and 6ft 6

Poulton Bob

« Reply #2 on: 20:39:45, 16/10/13 »
I lived for a very short time in Taylor Street early 1946.  I was only 3 years old, but I remember that we lived with with a man who was a rag and bone man.  Even though I was very young, I remember it as a rough place.  Arthur (the rag and bone man) was attacked by his wife, Rhoda, with an axe.  How she missed him remains a mystery.   At that tender age, I didn't know much about the circumstances, but my mother informed me much later in life, that Arthur had some "extra curricula activities".  Not long after that, we moved out to Glen Parva.  It was more civilised, but nowhere near s exciting.
Katy p.  I can't answer your question, but I have enjoyed sharing this snippet with you

Dennis Neal

« Reply #3 on: 11:52:47, 19/10/13 »
I lived in the Highfields district and often walked through Wharf Street with my Dad in the '30s & early '40s. It was a truly scary place to me and I would never venture there on my own.
My Dad walked through there twice a day, six days a week as the shortest way to his place of work.
Dennis

davegray

« Reply #4 on: 17:49:03, 23/01/14 »
My family lived in woodboy treet. My dad was Aurther gray and my mam was Violet Gray.My grandad was George Naylor who lived in bedford treet. Does anyone remember them please.

Barry Pole

« Reply #5 on: 09:55:16, 04/06/14 »
Warf street, scary now come on guys toughen up. My dad was a rag and boneman in this area, worked with Harry and Joe Bennett, they kept their horses at the back of St Marks Church, as a kid I watched Rocky Campbell train near the canal during his lunch breaks, while working at a hide and skin factory.

I attended Taylor Street School, play ground on roof, as its original build was for a factory. Walks along the Morsey it was great, the old bomb buildings also has memories for me, age its bad news lads, so think and act young, funny I always thought warf st had a h , age again.

bazza

Angela Tallis

« Reply #6 on: 13:23:59, 05/06/14 »
I was at Taylor Street School in 1951-56 and I am looking for any school photographs of that time as I have none in my possession. Can anybody help me with this please? Angel

Barry Pole

« Reply #7 on: 00:22:43, 06/06/14 »
Na no pictures of Taylor Street School, wish I did. I remember when I was around 6 my best friend was Eric North, of course all the teachers could not resist saying North Pole to us, as we created hell.

Also remember opposite the School, which was our little terraced house, on the corner was the Melville Pub, when the Queen was crowned yours truly was sitting on the piano singing , how much is that doggy in the window.

What a sad life I have had, ha ha.

John Barnes

« Reply #8 on: 17:57:06, 05/06/15 »
Thanks to all for information regarding Wharf Street schools.  My interest in the subject is that my wife - Mrs Barnes - was posted there by the education authority as her first school in 1951 at the age of 20  It was a very rough area and the residents were very poor however Rosemary was loved and respected by all her pupils and parents alike and the experience there stood her in good stead throughout her 50 plus years as a teacher
John Barnes. 

Roseway

« Reply #9 on: 16:15:34, 15/03/16 »
Does any one know if those children that went there would be registered any where

John Barnes

« Reply #10 on: 11:53:35, 16/03/16 »
I failed to mention that Mrs Barnes, one time teacher at Wharf street school, would have been known as Miss (Rosemary) Nicholson. Sadly Rosemary passed away in May 2015.
John Barnes.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.