Author Topic: Location of American Red Cross Service Club on Granby Street  (Read 1522 times)

Vince

Hello, I've been researching Leicester in WW2 for a forthcoming book, and I really want to nail down the location (by which I mean the building/number) of the American Red Cross Service Club on Granby Street during WW2.

I know there was an off-shoot club on Yeoman Lane, and although I'm especially interested in finding out whether the building used by them on Granby Street is still standing, I'd welcome info on either.

flyer

Some hints on Google but nothing to narrow it down ,thinking it could have part of the British red cross (15 Granby st ???)

flyer

Some hints on Google but nothing to narrow it down ,thinking it could have part of the British red cross (15 Granby st ??? )
P.S phone the British at 244 London rd they may be able to tell you I'm thinking they was on end of Granby near city center my mind as to go back 68 yrs :-\ :-\

Vince

Thanks Flyer. Somebody suggested it was a building (now named Burdett House, 124 Granby Street) - at the London Road end, but I've been unable to confirm. I've got a photograph taken inside, and even got a wartime letter written by the Club Director - but they used the standard American Red Cross letter heading (and didn't type the address unfortunately).

flyer

late 40s Banners coffee bar just down from the station was always full of American G.I so could well right

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.