Author Topic: leicester loooo  (Read 1514 times)

TINAHARRISON

leicester loooo
« on: 23:28:26, 30/01/14 »
Can any one remember the under ground loos near the haymarket and Lewis's????? O0

Dennis Neal

Re: leicester loooo
« Reply #1 on: 09:47:45, 31/01/14 »
Yes, I remember  the loos and Lewis's, along with the horse trough and the truly dreadful hotdog stall way back in the '30s. I expect it has all changed now. I left  Leicester 62 years ago.
Dennis

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #2 on: 17:35:03, 31/01/14 »
Hi..yes indeed it has changed beyond recognition!!!you must have been in leicester at the same time as the Bell Hotel??remember it?

Dennis Neal

« Reply #3 on: 18:44:44, 31/01/14 »
I remember it well, but was a bit too young to drink there.
I also remember there was the Tramways Club very close to the Bell. I also remember the City Boys School and of course, Burton's Corner at the Clock Tower.
Have been back a few times, the last was about 10 years ago for a funeral. Almost everything  in the centre was quite unrecognisable.
Doubt that I shall be back again as I don't travel well. Just too old and creaky. I do have some great memories of the place though and like to read your thought provoking comments. Keep it up.
Dennis

hairy fosse

« Reply #4 on: 19:51:33, 31/01/14 »
Yes I do remember the Loo's but to find someone else near my age group that could remember them is impossible.

I was born 1950 but think I must have had a previous life when were they demolished?

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #5 on: 23:14:07, 31/01/14 »
Thanks for your replies...my husband wondered if the loos were still there..underground?may be in years to come they will be dscovered and cause the same interest as King Richard!!!!!Shame about the Bell...it was demolished a yr aftee I was born...a crimminal act if I dont say nyself!whatever were they thinking pulling down a hisoric Edwardian buildibg just to repkce it with the box of the haymarket!!!!moan over!!haha O0

Barry Pole

« Reply #6 on: 05:29:54, 06/06/14 »
The underground bogs, yep remember well, along with the weighbridge close by, and the first drive through post office in the country, and the first parking wardens in the country, Leicester what a place.
 On a serious note you cannot beat the English countryside, no matter where you go around the globe, Bradgate , switho woods, the great village pubs around woodhouse etc.