Author Topic: 'Wayside'  (Read 3293 times)

DALWOOD

'Wayside'
« on: 18:07:53, 30/03/14 »
 I am researching family history. Our family lived in London but my birth certificate indicates that I was born at 'Wayside', Oadby, Leicestershire, in 1943. Further research lead me to an interesting article (see below) written for the Greater Wigston Historical Society by Mr Martin Sharpe (circa 2006).                                         

"Wayside Lodge was built by architect Sir Tudor Walters MP......The property was used as a maternity home during WW11 for mothers evacuated from London and many a youngster has since puzzled over why they were born in Oadby."

I wondered if anyone could tell me where I can obtain a photograph of 'Wayside' from and whether there is any further information to be had regarding the building that I was born in?

Thank you,
Barrie Maskell

jangar

Re: 'Wayside'
« Reply #1 on: 09:18:06, 31/10/14 »
Have you gained any more info since you posted? A woman I have come across recently is pursuing the same maternity home.

penny

« Reply #2 on: 15:33:05, 03/04/15 »
Hi on searching my family history I found that I was born at the wayside nursing home in October 1943 and registered  in blaby my mother having been evacuated from Lewisham south east London does anyone have any details of this home and does it still exist?

simonclub

« Reply #3 on: 22:27:53, 28/07/15 »
Hi, the house was purchased by my great grandfather who lived in it until he passed away with my parents and older brother. I was very fortunate to have been born on a small piece of land that was given to my parents on the estate where they built a bungalow. I do have some pictures if you are interested in the main house. There was also a lodge/gate house which I remember going into after a fire had destroyed most of it. Unfortunately the house was sold with all its land to Jelsons a local house builder.

penny

« Reply #4 on: 16:41:10, 31/07/15 »
Hi  I would very muchlike to see a photo of wayside I seem to remember my mum used to say about nice ceilings wasthere anything special  about them? thankyou penny

simonclub

« Reply #5 on: 20:43:22, 02/08/15 »
Unfortunately the system won't allow me to upload even a single photo without the words "too large". Happy to send some of the photos I have if you can give me your email. Thanks Simon

Chelsea

« Reply #6 on: 10:46:06, 14/08/15 »
I too am looking for any information on Wayside as my husband was born there in December 1943 after his mum was evacuated from London.   Were there any  records kept of the mothers and babies time there.  Like how long were the mums actually there and records of the actual birth.  My husband is pretty sure he was taken back to London at 10 days of age but apart from that he knows nothing.  We'll be going to the UK (from our home in Australia) next month and will be passing through Oadby and was hoping to look something up, but what we don't know.

Barry Pole

« Reply #7 on: 01:17:14, 23/08/15 »
Chelsea

Have a good time on your hols, we were back in Leicester 3 years ago, small villages great, Towns not so good. Lincoln worth a visit.

Chelsea

« Reply #8 on: 14:06:39, 23/08/15 »
Barry Pole

Thanks, we're very much looking forward to trip, got a lot of family and friends to visit.  Looks like small villages are the way to go rather than towns, suits me fine.  Might even check out Lincoln.  Should be passing through Oadby and Leicester in about a fortnights time.

Chelsea

« Reply #9 on: 19:03:35, 14/09/15 »
Am currently visiting the UK and have have recently visited Oadby where we searched and found Wayside Drive where the Wayside Nursing Home was.  We managed to have a chat to a couple who had just pulled up to their house and we were informed that their home was situated on a section of the long driveway that led to the home.  The gentleman has information and photos that he has kindly promised to forward to us via email at some stage.  He said that over the years they have heard lots of stories about the home and the mums from London but one story he related to us was that the girls from the East End of London were not at all impressed about having to give birth in Oadby as they all wanted their babies to be born within the sound of The Bow Bells  in the East End so they would be considered to be "proper cockneys".   :)   He did suggest getting in touch with The Leicester Records Office to see if they had any more information, something I have not had time to do.  I don 't know if anyone else on this forum has tried that or not??  Anyway, if I get photos and info from him as promised I will post same here.   Still in London for a few more weeks before heading home to Australia - brilliant trip so far.

JonB

« Reply #10 on: 15:42:04, 25/09/15 »
Hi Alan, it's Jon here who you spoke to in Wayside Drive, Oadby after we pulled up in our car and discussed you being born at the Wayside, just to say that I have not forgotten about sending you some stuff, I am still in the process of sorting it out, I estimate about 2 more weeks before I will have some info for you, only got 1 picture up to now, but have some plans showing the exact position of the building etc, speak to you soon, regards, Jon

colintighe

« Reply #11 on: 10:39:52, 19/09/16 »
Just found this forum and item on Wayside maternity home. I was born there in 1940, my mother was evacuated away from the bombing in London. Did anyone fine a picture of the home?

JonB

« Reply #12 on: 10:54:00, 19/09/16 »
Yes I have one photo and maps and info about the  home, send me your email address and I will send them to you, regards, Jon

colintighe

« Reply #13 on: 17:29:42, 19/09/16 »
Hi Jon how do I send you my e mail address?

JonB

« Reply #14 on: 18:03:31, 19/09/16 »
Not sure, I am very busy tonight, but if you leave it with me I will find a way to get the stuff to you via this Leicester Forum site, regards, Jon

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.