Author Topic: Leicester Pub from 1950's  (Read 17886 times)

minimandy

Leicester Pub from 1950's
« on: 12:43:34, 01/10/07 »
My Dad is desperately trying to remember the name of a pub which existed in Leicester in the 1950's (and probably later) It was on Eastgates (if you stand outside McDonalds near the clock tower it would have been facing you) its now a mobile phone shop and faces the main opening of the shires also.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Mandy

lyndyloo

Re: Leicester Pub from 1950's
« Reply #1 on: 12:04:22, 02/11/09 »
Im sure that this was The Elcipse Pub , not that I ever went I was far too young, I was always told It was not a very nice pub !!  :)

flyer

« Reply #2 on: 01:36:32, 04/11/09 »
Im sure that this was The Elcipse Pub , not that I ever went I was far too young, I was always told It was not a very nice pub !!  :)
now that name strikes a bell ,i think I visited it a couple times in the late 50s,all the pubs around the clock tower could get a little rough at times,but not always ::) ::)

lyndyloo

« Reply #3 on: 15:07:21, 04/11/09 »
This Pub had the reputation for Ladies of the Night !!!!! 

flyer

« Reply #4 on: 22:54:45, 30/11/09 »
ah that must have been the reason for my visit :angel: :angel:

lyndyloo

« Reply #5 on: 15:39:20, 01/12/09 »

ha ha lol  :D

the_motownman

« Reply #6 on: 14:19:18, 09/11/10 »
definately the eclypse. it was a place of worship before it became a pub. all the faces went in there.

Johned

« Reply #7 on: 11:39:20, 24/11/10 »
Somewhere near the clock tower there was a curious sort of "underground" pub I was wont to frequent, called, I think, Dr Watt's - rather weird.  Anyone else recall this establishment?
I used to really like the Bell Hotel, very comfortable - spacious settees to spread out on with your ale!

Allycat

« Reply #8 on: 21:57:02, 15/12/10 »
I can remember 'Dr. Watts'. Near the cathedral right? I'm sure that wasn't it's real name though. Why was it called Dr.Watts? I think it got burned down or something and was later demolished.

Rodders

« Reply #9 on: 16:00:07, 16/12/10 »
How about the 'Hind' opposite the railway station.
I had many a boozy weekend in there, especially downstairs, where the only lighting was from candles stuck into the tops of wax covered wine bottles.

jazzaroo

« Reply #10 on: 17:42:27, 10/01/11 »
I remember a couple of rough pubs on the Saffron lane, there was the city arms on the corner of burnaston road, and further down opposite the recce was the midland, there was of course the tiger on stonesby avenue, nice !!

Rodders

« Reply #11 on: 21:25:47, 10/01/11 »
I remember a couple of rough pubs on the Saffron lane, there was the city arms on the corner of burnaston road, and further down opposite the recce was the midland, there was of course the tiger on stonesby avenue, nice !!

City arms has long gone as is the Tiger, however, the Midland is still open for business but only just, Aylestone WMC opposite the recce has also been closed for a few years.
The Manchester next to the low narrow bridge on Knighton Fields Road East is also boarded up now.

I used to live across the road from the Tiger, I may have been one of yer rough ones in there lol, at least it wasn't far to stagger home  ;)

jazzaroo

« Reply #12 on: 22:10:04, 10/01/11 »
Hi,i was born and bred on saffron estate and used to play football on the ground behind the tiger which i think was Wellington vics home ground, before the tiger and the football pitch there was deep pond known locally as the rabbit pond, this was in the forties and early fifties which dates me a bit, I used to drink in the tiger with my brother but i moved away in the 60's i came back to Leicester on occassions to see what was  left of my family ,my brother and i went to the tiger for old times sake, i made the mistake of asking for a whiskey with ice and the place went quiet,someone muttered who does he think he is, bit scary but i was embarrassed as i'd obviously forgotten my roots, no offence but your probably an old mate anyway.

jazzaroo

« Reply #13 on: 00:28:29, 11/01/11 »
with reference to the eclipse pub, it was definately a bit seedy ,if anyone remembers eclipse hacksaw blades the in joke at the time was that you could also get rough and smooth at the pub,
I suppose that there were probably loads of sleazy pubs around in those days but the only one that I remember was the blinking owl on Belgrave road near the church i think was  St Nicholas but I'm not sure, central motors the ford dealers was in the same area. going back to the eclipse I was once propositioned  by a lady of the night but i told her that i only had a shilling
no problem  she said, I've got change.

Rodders

« Reply #14 on: 01:21:46, 11/01/11 »
jazzaroo.
Did you ever do the 'pub crawl' all the way from the clock tower to Loughborogh road junction and back up again visiting every pub and having a pint in each ?
Can't remember exactly how many there were, about 15 or 20  I think.
I done it a couple of times in my youth, the following mornings I could remember starting but not finishing.  ;D

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.