Author Topic: Leicester Pub from 1950's  (Read 18363 times)

jazzaroo

Re: Leicester Pub from 1950's
« Reply #15 on: 08:01:25, 11/01/11 »
Hi Rodders, i got roped into a few of these in the past but i did one too many and boy was I ill for about two days, it cured me of drinking ,i remember  being really bad one christmas after drinking too many rum and blacks,I threw up all night and it must have been awful for the others in the house,i remember lying in bed the next morning just hoping to die, my dad came in to see if i was ok,all he said was, serves you right, you won't do that again and he was right. I've also been  drunk on port and brandy when on holiday in spain in the eighties, its certainly a good way to help stop drinking as to this day I've never touched either of those drinks as just the thought makes me want to puke. my brother went one better at a party on the fosse road, he felt ill and rushed outside into the garden to avoid being sick in the house and promptly threw up over the pet rabbit that was in the garden, what was your worst experience then?  as we have all had at least one.

bomber

« Reply #16 on: 21:33:52, 04/04/11 »
well say what you will it did have a bad name but i use to go in from time to time for a bit of fun with the old boys and the ladys like was said there was a lot of old hard men used it. but it was a land mark in the town and it was there long after a lot of pubs
in the town and there was a lot of pubs with with bad names

bomber

« Reply #17 on: 21:38:33, 04/04/11 »
dont think you finished you would be the only one to do it may be half pints

bomber

« Reply #18 on: 21:40:58, 04/04/11 »
dont think you finished or even done it you would maybe maybe did it on half pints

bomber

« Reply #19 on: 21:43:16, 04/04/11 »
no way you may have done it on half pints

bomber

« Reply #20 on: 21:44:09, 04/04/11 »
no way you may have done it on half pints

bomber

« Reply #21 on: 21:49:17, 04/04/11 »
you did not do that run i can still name every pub from the clock tower to loughborough road

bomber

« Reply #22 on: 21:58:14, 04/04/11 »
how many pus were there on belgrave rd

jazzaroo

« Reply #23 on: 00:06:10, 05/04/11 »
Haven't got a clue how many pubs were on the belgrave road as it wasn't my patch, but would be interested to know how many and the names of the pubs please,

flyer

« Reply #24 on: 12:05:17, 05/04/11 »
jazzaroo.
Did you ever do the 'pub crawl' all the way from the clock tower to Loughborogh road junction and back up again visiting every pub and having a pint in each ?
Can't remember exactly how many there were, about 15 or 20  I think.
I done it a couple of times in my youth, the following mornings I could remember starting but not finishing.  ;D
You should have gone on to Champion courner of Checkets  i had my first pint there Everhards best bitter ice cold

Dennis Neal

« Reply #25 on: 09:33:29, 06/04/11 »
Flyer, what a dreadful way to treat Best Bitter!
At least here in Dorset we can still get it as it should be, direct from the wood at room temperature.
Dennis

Johned

« Reply #26 on: 09:55:36, 07/04/11 »
 :-\  Vividly recall sitting on the steps of the Ritz Cinema in South Wiggy with my head in my hands after a heavy night in the "Grand"; something like three whiskies and about seven pints and I was in a right state!  I passed a pretty uncomfortable night to say the least but such was the vitality of youth, I was up for a rerun the next evening!

mick

« Reply #27 on: 07:22:10, 18/06/11 »
[quote author=lyndyloo link=topic=268.msg6 that I ever went I was far too young, I was always told It was not a very nice pub !!  :)
 YES IT WAS THE  Elcipse Pub my dad was all ways in this pub. :o

joe mcclaine

« Reply #28 on: 12:09:26, 18/08/12 »
Sorry for dragging up this dead thread.
I lived in two of the pubs mentioned in this thread as a nipper.
The Eclipse in the late 70's and The Midland in the early 80's (plus another but not mentioned, which must be a good thing).
Both were chock full of characters and  events which left me with many vivid memories.

mick

« Reply #29 on: 07:40:32, 20/08/12 »
Hi  Joe
 Do you remember Ted black  from The Eclipse and The Midland you could not get him or my Dad out off this pub.
I started going in this Pub in the 70"s,
Good old Days.
mick

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.