Author Topic: Leicester Pub from 1950's  (Read 17887 times)

joe mcclaine

Re: Leicester Pub from 1950's
« Reply #30 on: 10:36:27, 20/08/12 »
Mick, I've asked my Mum (as I was very young at the time).
Was Ted Black a boxer by any chance? If so, my step-dad remembers him well from The Eclipse.
It was my Grandmother and Grandad who actually ran the pubs and we lived with them for a while.

the_motownman

« Reply #31 on: 13:29:48, 20/08/12 »
i knew ted very well. or as well as anyone could. never a dull moment when ted was in the group.

the_motownman

« Reply #32 on: 13:31:44, 20/08/12 »
ted did a lot of boxing and was very good. he was very involved with the shows that went on at the boot and shoe wmc on wharfe street. he would fight anyone.

flyer

« Reply #33 on: 08:21:10, 21/08/12 »
Flyer, what a dreadful way to treat Best Bitter!
At least here in Dorset we can still get it as it should be, direct from the wood at room temperature.
Ithink the beer at the Champion was cold from the cellar(1950s) But on another note never to keen on a lot of English beers some in fact were quite vile untill one got use to them, one i did like was I.P.A came in bottles from a tiny fridge only for the ladys and the one's with bent wrists(real men drink pints) you cant believe what a relief it was to come to Canada were beer is served ice cold and in bottles, but on a recent trip to the U.K was in St Annes( Don't ask)and low and behold the beer in the hotel came in bottles and ice cold so there is hope we3lcome to the new century L.O.L

dazza

« Reply #34 on: 20:34:54, 27/12/12 »
Would this be The Eclipse pub? (A bit small I know)

the_motownman

« Reply #35 on: 22:28:45, 27/12/12 »
yes that was the eclipse. or the office as my family used to call it. not many people know that it was a church before becomeing a pub. the only owner that i knew was a woman called melba she had a staff dog that was a right so + so in its day. some of my older relatives worked the bar but the only barman that i knew was a very thin man called barry, nice bloke constantly pissed. got some great memories of the eclipse including when i got chucked out with tommy cooper as he started a small fight. odd really as the eclipse was where everyone went when they were barred from all the other pubs.

joe mcclaine

« Reply #36 on: 15:51:15, 02/02/13 »
I can confirm The Eclipse was a church before a pub.

My Grandad (landlord in 70's / 80's) found the old bricked-up cellars.

They were full of ancient wine - might have been worth a fortune.

Strange you mention Tommy Cooper ... he would never have any money on him - his manager always had to pay.

As far as I know Larry Grayson, Charlie Kray, Willie Thorne, Showaddywaddy and Englebert Humperdink also graced the place from time to time.

It had such a bad reputation, that when our Mum tried to get me and my younger brother into Slater Street school they refused to let us in when they found out where we lived. We got in eventually with a full apology from the head.

A lot of the characters from the Eclipse followed my Grandad to the Midland and The Kings Head (the one on King St, not Granby St).