Author Topic: Bike Races  (Read 2152 times)

Dennis Neal

Bike Races
« on: 17:00:14, 19/06/14 »
Does anyone remember the bike races held in Spinney Hill Park in the early 1950's?
They covered a circuit with the start and finish line by the pavillion.
They became a regular feature on saturday evenings and always drew a large crowd.
The circuit was exactly one mile and the races usually 30 miles.
I took part in a couple of them.
The riders used their ordinary road bikes and it attracted riders from all the local clubs.
Very dangerous by todays standards, lots of crashes but fortunately few injuries despite the hazards of unprotected road furniture.
Great Fun!
Dennis

Barry Pole

Re: Bike Races
« Reply #1 on: 20:05:11, 19/06/14 »
No Dennis never witnessed one of these bike races, went to Moat Rd School from 1961, so maybe a bit late. Sounded great fun. When you said it was a bit dangerous, watch the kids doing stunts on skate boards now days.

Spinney hill park , I remember being chased by the parkies often, for throwing sticks, knocking down the conkers, now that was fun.

Can you remember if the race had an official name?

Dennis Neal

« Reply #2 on: 08:56:34, 20/06/14 »
Hi Barry,
No name as far as I can remember.
It was dangerous because there were lots of obstructions like seats next to the road and few wore crash helmets, and they were ribbed leather track helmets which offered little or no real protection
I was involved in a multiple pile up and had the end of an unprotected handlebar crack a rib.
The local clubs also had grass track racing round the cricket oval in Abbey Park every wednesday evening.
I moved to Bournemouth in 1954 and lost any competitive interest as I simply didn't have time to train.
I am 85 now but still have a love of cycling in any form and watch anything that comes on TV.

Dennis

Barry Pole

« Reply #3 on: 23:38:58, 20/06/14 »
Morning Dennis thanks for the reply, its great you still keep up to date with the cycling. A work colleague  track races, before work he cycles 80k to keep in shape,a couple of times a week.

Some say he is mad, quite a few deaths on the road with cyclists in NZ. A while back visited a velodrome in Invercargill , bottom of south Island, a great facility.

All expats are feeling a bit down at present, losing the last 2 tests with the all blacks and now the world cup. Still we are hoping for a win tonight in the final test. To make things worse my grandson who is part Maori insists on performing the Haka, which makes us all laugh.

Dennis Neal

« Reply #4 on: 09:24:54, 21/06/14 »
Hi Barry,
I was told that I might have been been born in New Zealand. My Dad had been unemployed for a long time and had been offered a free passage for the whole family (I had 2 elder brothers) and a guaranteed job on arrival. All arrangements were made but my mother, who was about 4 months pregnant with me, simply could not face leaving her own very close knit family for ever and refused to go at the last minute.
Obviously family bonds were very different then.
I am trying to imagine your grandson doing the haka. How old is he?
Dennis

Barry Pole

« Reply #5 on: 05:25:06, 22/06/14 »
Good morning Dennis.

I am sure you have a good life in the UK, missing out on NZ must have been destiny. Now my grandson is approaching the ripe old age of 6.

He was very proud of scoring 2 tries Friday. Basically at this age they do not tackle, they have 2 ribbons attached to their waist, which the opposition can tear off, hence then they have to pass the ball. Works rather well as an introduction to the national game.

We live in Wellington, since 1974. We travel to Aus often as we both have school friends form Leicester in Australia.  Was last back in Leicester 2 years ago. Lived in Rothley for a month, very nice village. We always seem to gravitate to the same places, Bradgate Park, Swithland Woods.

We did some touring, Lake District, Whitby, Bath, being some of the spots. Bit disappointed  with the Lake district, spoilt for that sort of thing on our door step and no problems with parking, which was a constant problem. How do you keep yourself busy these days.

Dennis Neal

« Reply #6 on: 10:12:18, 22/06/14 »
Hi Barry,
All of our junior schools play tag rugby. We have a school close by and I sometimes watch them play. They can make it quite exciting.
My own grandchildren are older, Kate is 22 and produced my first great grandchild, Poppy four months ago. Matthew is 18 and Joe is 16. Both still at school and brilliant with maths but little else.
Kate started Jiu-Jitsu when she was very young as she was being bullied at school and Matt & Joe started as soon as their age allowed. All are also Judo black belt players. Joe recently won the Junior National championships and Joe became The Junior International Champion, beating Matt in the final. Matt is a pure stylist but Joe is inventive.
Not kids to mess with.
After I gave up competitive cycling, I discovered Gliding. and flew for about 30 years until a motor shunt trapped a nerve in my neck and I had to give up. I was Chief Flying Instructor for 9 years and a regional coach. I still follow very closely what is happening.
Don't do a lot now as I have very poor sight but still manage to take short walks and with the aid of several pairs of specs enjooy my computer and TV, especially the Rugby and Cricket.
Dennis

Barry Pole

« Reply #7 on: 22:10:41, 24/06/14 »
Morning Dennis.

Sounds like you have had exciting moments with gliding, your grand children doing Judo was also interesting. My son competed in Judo in his teen years.

A friend of ours was a keen glider Gerry Gotlieb, he was also a pilot in the war. Although I have done more than my share of flying I must admit I do not like. My daughters partner has his pilot license, always flying around the place. North of Wellington is a glider club, at Paraparaumu.

Dennis Neal

« Reply #8 on: 08:59:26, 25/06/14 »
Hi Barry,
I had a bad fall yesterday and managed to break my wrist. Not easy to surf and type with my left hand.
At one time I had thoughts of a gliding holiday in NZ to fly the standing wave cloud between the islands but such dreams are now long gone. Lots of wonderful memories though.
Dennis

Barry Pole

« Reply #9 on: 08:03:07, 27/06/14 »
Dennis very sorry to hear about your fall,  and damaging your wrist, remember to roll next time. I wish you a speedy recovery.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.