Author Topic: The Motor Trade in Leicester  (Read 1215 times)

ironmonger

The Motor Trade in Leicester
« on: 08:54:48, 26/09/14 »
It has changed the face & pace of Leicester more than anything else [/font]for over 100 years but little seems to be recorded of the network that supported it....the motor car! I'm researching the motor trade in Leicester (manufacturers & garages) from it's earliest days & would be grateful for any early references particularly photographs.[/font]

flyer

Re: The Motor Trade in Leicester
« Reply #1 on: 20:32:54, 27/09/14 »
to the best of my kn0w our filling and garage on ocean red was the first allowed on a housing estate in eng the reason we had the only house to have sewer and running water and they could not demolish it  we was allowed to build on a promise to pul down our ugly black wood frame house  (we never did) .last time i saw it the garage is parts shed for the big station .still semi blind so excuse ant typos

Joany

« Reply #2 on: 14:35:21, 24/10/14 »
I remember a garage A.B. Butt in Queen Street Leicester where I worked in the office in the late 1940s.  A lot of mechanics worked there and it was always busy.  Not of much interest to you but brought back some good memories for me. I think I was only fifteen when I started working there ( eighty two now !! so memory not too good) there were three of us girls in the office and it reminds me of the comments from those chaps when we walked into work in the mornings. 

Joany

« Reply #3 on: 10:46:13, 26/10/14 »
There was a garage in Melton Street about 70 years ago Hallam Garage and another one next to the Star Cinema in Belgrave Road, Humpy (nickname ) Smith was the owner. 

Johned

« Reply #4 on: 18:33:38, 04/11/14 »
Where was Bob Gerard Cars located?  I believe the owner was famous in the rallying and competition world.  One of my bosses at work bought a new Sunbeam Talbot 90 sports saloon from them and they possessed the technical knowhow to convert it from steering column gear change to a sporty floor shift along with one or two other engine mods.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.