Author Topic: Leicester Cinemas  (Read 1176 times)

Ian 1943

Leicester Cinemas
« on: 16:34:55, 18/10/14 »
I have always had an interest in cinemas and cinema presentation although for several years I did not visit the cinema.  I returned to regular cinema visits about six years ago and over that period
I have become more and more disillusioned with the standard of presentation. I have to accept that nowadays screen curtains, auditoriums illuminated by chandeliers and the feeling you are entering what was regarded as a 'picture palace' - all these are now a thing of the past - more's the pity!   What really upsets me is the fact that in one multiplex particularly the image on the screen varies from poor to what I would regard as unacceptable.  In these days of digital cinema, I feel I have the right to expect the image on the screen to be at least as good as my television at home.
But more often than not, the image on the screen is dark and even scenes shot in bright sunlight give the appearance of being filmed in the early evening as the sun sinks lower in the sky.  I have drawn this to the attention of the cinema management who tried to placate me by saying that my comments would be drawn to the attention of their engineer.  However when the situation did not improve, I raised this issue again but received no reply.  I would be pleased to hear from any other contributor to this forum irrespective of whether or not you agree with these comments as I am firmly of the opinion that the film distribution companies expect better presentation of their product that I am experiencing.

Johned

Re: Leicester Cinemas
« Reply #1 on: 18:24:49, 04/11/14 »
I can recall the time when the daily Leicester cinema showings covered two pages of the "Mercury!" In my misspent youth, I went with my young lady just about every night of the week.  It was first rate cheap entertainment transporting me personally to another world lol!  Nowadays it not the same experience at all.  No more exotic palaces of architectural delight, in fact, some multiplexes are little more than tarted up sheds with indifferent film projection.  Second features and "little" pictures to make up the programme have gone the way of all flesh and you pay an arm and a leg for the privilege of viewing the feature film only.  As for refreshments, gone are the days when you could enjoy a tanner tub of ice ceam.  My favourite uptown venue was the magnificent Savoy in Belgrave Gate, followed by the Odeon and I remember the relatively brief life of the Essoldo in Granby Street.  If my memory serves me correctly, I first witnessed a cinemascope presentation at the latter, was it "The Robe" with a youthful Richard Burton?  On more impecunious evenings we went locally to the Ritz or Magna in Wiggy.  One evening a week was devoted to the Palace Theatre; the last show I saw there starred the late Fred Emney supported by Miss Great Britain one Violet Pretty who later blossomed in Holywood as Anne Heywood.  Oh happy nostalgic days, all gone never to return.  A final thought, for some reason we were given complimentary tickets to the Evington to see Arthur Askey, Shirley Eaton, Leo Franklyn et al in "The Love Match!"  Today that venue is a Tescos.  Ah Well! (sigh with a tear falling in my ale glass).

Nightryder

« Reply #2 on: 07:08:27, 17/08/15 »
I live in Australia now but come from Leicester, going to the cinema in the 60's was great but now a days its a miserable experience & i dont bother, just wait for the dvd, no intermission anymore & although ive thought the quality of the movie it self was ok , its the awfull overloud noise comming from the speakers, its unbelievably bad.How anyone can enjoy a movie now is beyond me, its a shame but like so many things is now geared to the young.

Barry Pole

« Reply #3 on: 01:12:55, 23/08/15 »
Now chaps the main reason the flicks is not as exciting is our age, I mean going to the Saturday flicks watching the b westerns fantastic, coming out shooting with our fingers . Do that now and we would get arrested or committed. I remember to go we had to take pop bottles back for the deposit to get in. Man we were poor but we had heaps of fun.

And go figure imagine now if you had a lady selling ice cream in fish net stockings at the front, now come to think about it, they should bring it back, what do you think girls. NZ cinema is fine we have some small boutique type, and you can have glass of wine all good.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.