Author Topic: The Nite Owl/ The Burlesque/ The Chameleon / Oodly Boodly/ Chicane memories  (Read 6704 times)

David Aldwinckle

Hi there as been no mention of Club Ambassador where the Kray Twins visited and was top venue for everyone from Bob Monkhouse to Dianna Dors

Babs Long

Just found this site while looking for any comments on 1960s Leicester. Met my future husband at the Chicane (he was one of the owners). Also used to go to the Cauldron, the cellar bar under a pub opposite the train station, the Chameleon etc. The Bowling Green was a favourite pub but I was seriously underage at the time. I think I celebrated my 16th birthday there while Dennis was in charge. Happy memories.

lyngirl

My Dad, Ken Palmer, was the drummer in the resident modern jazz band at Les Ambassadors in the 1950's and 60's. It was exciting to be allowed to attend along with my Mum, occasionally, for a special treat. I can remember how classy it seemed to my young eyes. The food was very good too. He also ran The Trocadero ballroom with his friend Frank Marsham for a good few years in the late 50's. I have many happy memories of being in the ballroom when it was empty, dancing around and playing the grand piano. Happy days. :)

ChrisC

I have a tape of Maurice Coleman - called The Attik Legend - bought it off the great man for a Christmas present :-)
Should copy it to CD one day :-)

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.