Author Topic: Is there a war memorial for the people who died during air raids in Leicester  (Read 621 times)

judithraynewman

I am going to do a micro-teach for a Level 3 Teaching Award and I want to do it on the bombings in Leicester during the war.
I only learned about these this year having lived in Leicester for over 35 years by reading the Wartime Leicester book.
Does anyone know if there are any memorials in Leicester for those killed in the air raids?

Clive Cartwright

If there isn't, there should be one!

A Civilian Roll of Honour of all who died in Leicestershire during the Second World War was printed. You can see the book in the Records Office, Wigston. The list can also be seen on the Wartime Leicestershire website too.

There's loads of books on the subject, too: Do check out this reading list!
http://www.wartimeleicestershire.com/pages/bibliography/bibliography.html

John254

Aylestone Park Residents Group have already looked into this -

(quote from e-mail)

[size=78%]Thank you for contacting us about the bombing during the Second World War on Cavendish and Saffron Hill Road.[/size]

We already have permission from the Church of the Nativity to install the War Memorial to commemorate the six civilians killed in the attack. It is proposed to fix it to the side of the Church on Cavendish Road just above the door.

The latest version for the War Memorial is attached. It is going to be A4 in size and stainless steel because it would last longer.

Three people have responded to the appeal in “The Leicester Mercury”.  One was going by the area and saw the bombs dropped. Another went out for the day despite her objections to return home to a bombed out building. The third was in one of the houses that was destroyed in the attack. Taken to the temporary morgue and by fate or chance, found to be still alive!

The Church is planning a Service of Dedication to be held on Sunday, 20th August. The Morning Service starts at 10.30am. You are most welcome to attend.

We are hoping to mount a small exhibition of pictures of the bombing in the School Hall of the Church over the weekend of the service.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.