Author Topic: Lido  (Read 1101 times)

tsmiggy

Lido
« on: 13:29:21, 20/05/16 »
Does anyone remember the LIDO,near the then TROC,now the Shell Garage Uppingham Road.

Johned

Re: Lido
« Reply #1 on: 17:23:18, 20/05/16 »
Well recall the old Troc cinema on the garage site.  In 1954 we had to form a military guard of honour from Glen Para Barracks on the steps to welcome various celebs attending the premiere outside London of the "Colditz Story" film. Over sixty years ago; where has all that time gone?  Troc pictures and pool gone, who'd have thought it?

Lesmond

« Reply #2 on: 20:01:24, 22/05/16 »
Remember the Lido well, used to go there in the 60's has child, and Saturday morning in the troc 

Barry Pole

« Reply #3 on: 01:30:42, 26/06/16 »
I had a trip back to Leicester last month Travelling from NZ , MY HOME SINCE 1974. Well  the old Troc and Swimming baths had great memories.

However I must sadly admit the old areas are just slums now. I hope exiting the EU will once again help Britain get its culture back. No I am far from being racist but England is the land of the English and should always come first in promoting the best interest of the English. Its funny people now days feel guilty of being a proud Brit, well lets get back safe clean Cities across the UK. I visited Gloucester , I have never seen a more dirty place, some great buildings , but streets and pavements dirt dirt and more dirt.

Stocking Farm

« Reply #4 on: 00:29:18, 26/08/16 »
You are so right, I was in Leicester a couple of yrs ago, and sadly wondered what had happened, downtown Leicester was so run down, and resembled more of a slum than a past of vibrant activity's and night life. 
Glad to see you liked the Lido, spent many an afternoon there. Spence St, was always fun.

Barry Pole

« Reply #5 on: 20:21:51, 19/09/16 »
Also spent hour upon hour at Vestry Street, what a fantastic Victorian bath, all gone .

Stocking Farm

« Reply #6 on: 23:51:15, 29/09/16 »

So, was Vestry the one that we all had to queue up and wait until the last session finished? or was that Spence?
I remember if you were really quick in changing,  you could dive into an empty pool,  and for about 10secs you had the pool to your self.

Barry,  Did you go to Moat Boy's? you may have been in my class 61-66 ,
Maybe if we asked the forum members, what they thought of their teachers back then,  it would get some fun reaction!
Jackson!! Green!!
Anyway, If you are the Barry I'm thinking of, Glad you got out of Leicester it sure went downhill.

Barry Pole

« Reply #7 on: 08:53:15, 30/09/16 »
Hi stocking farm yep its bazza, my email address is , [email protected] drop me a line please.

Barry Pole

« Reply #8 on: 09:09:17, 30/09/16 »
Ok teachers of Moat Rd

Mr Jackson Maths Teacher, ex Leicester City player , very violent chap from memory. Mr Green Music teacher very very skilled, however poor man could not control class.

We really did not appreciate what talent we had teaching us in those days, yes a bit Victorian in approach but good. We never called a teacher by name it was Sir, and basically we called each other by sur name , something I do with friends now which they like, why I don't know.

My favourite lessons sport, ok guys and dolls lets hear about your teachers, and likes and dislikes

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.