Author Topic: Maternity Hospital Causway Ln Leicester  (Read 862 times)

snowman

Maternity Hospital Causway Ln Leicester
« on: 20:18:09, 22/01/17 »
 Hi;  My birth certificate lists place of birth as Causeway Lane, Maternity Hospital, Leicester. I have not been able to find any reference to such a place. However I note that Causeway Ln is very close to East Bond St, Westcotes perhaps? If so it seems reasonable to assume that this was the place. The year was 1942, war time. My mother had been evacuated to Leicester. Presumably because the city was less likely to suffer the attention of the German Luftwaffe than South London.
Anyone with info I would greatly appreciate it

patricia

Re: Maternity Hospital Causway Ln Leicester
« Reply #1 on: 07:31:46, 25/02/17 »
My mum was also evacuated to Wayside from London's East end , I was born in Oct 1942. I found a photo of the old house a long time ago, cant find it again. If anyone has a photo , would be nice to see it again .

Jillyflower

Re: Maternity Hospital Causway Ln Leicester
« Reply #2 on: 18:57:26, 30/05/17 »
Snowman,  I think you where born at what was called BOND STREET MATERNITY< now a tax office building on Causeway Lane. This I know as I trained at Bond Street in 1968/69 as as midwife.  We where told that the hospital was made up of several buildings. A pharmacy/three cottages and the entrance of the Coal Board office.  No wonder that I walked passed it when I went for my interview.

Hope this is some use to you.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.