Author Topic: What is leicester missing?  (Read 5853 times)

duane

What is leicester missing?
« on: 01:04:58, 25/11/07 »
What would you like to see in Leicester. What do you believe Leicester is lacking. Please explain your reasoning as to why you came up with what you did aswell.

plotty

Re: What is leicester missing?
« Reply #1 on: 10:51:47, 05/12/07 »
What would you like to see in Leicester. What do you believe Leicester is lacking. Please explain your reasoning as to why you came up with what you did aswell.

Probably the same as what us 'ere in Loughborough are missing^^
http://www.inloughborough.com
I hAtE cHaRnWoOd CoUnCiL

plotty

« Reply #2 on: 11:11:12, 05/12/07 »
More users of this forum^^ Just like us in Lufbra^^
I hAtE cHaRnWoOd CoUnCiL

m1pete

« Reply #3 on: 02:21:13, 07/12/07 »
A tram service like Nottinghams got,

:knuppel2:

plotty

« Reply #4 on: 04:30:19, 07/12/07 »
A tram service like Nottinghams got,

:knuppel2:

Didn't Leicester used to have a tram service. I recall seeing somewhere that there is still some evidence of it in Leicester?
I hAtE cHaRnWoOd CoUnCiL

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #5 on: 19:33:55, 12/03/13 »
an ice skating rink!!!!!

flyer

« Reply #6 on: 07:09:50, 13/03/13 »
Didn't Leicester used to have a tram service. I recall seeing somewhere that there is still some evidence of it in Leicester?
Sure did but that was in the 50s when the last of them ran,at least cant remember any running later

Lears City

« Reply #7 on: 10:10:10, 13/03/13 »
The following are missing in Leicester, at the moment...

- City centre leisure facilities for families. Such as an ice-rink, Granby Halls and St Margaret's Baths replacements. Ultimately a large, cetrally-located, indoor facility is required in Leicester.

- Co-ordinated public transport, with a single and cheap ticketing system. Whether this is buses, trams or any other rapid transit system - we need proper planning and co-ordination.

- Heritage protection enforcement and adequate promotion/utilisation of key buildings and areas. For example the Castle Great Hall and Magazine Gateway remaining empty and Greyfriar's underused. We need to create an Old Town Society, that will help to protect and promote that unique part of Leicester and to also work toward creating a Working Museum, which brings together all the museums, buildings and parks. This will create true connectivity and provide employment opportunites. Leicester makes plans and creates documentation for our heritage, but the city is missing a true champion individual or organisation - which will prevent destruction and damage and also successfully make things better in the Old Town.

- The city centre suffers from inadequate, unsafe or expensive parking. This needs to be addressed. Parking should be far cheaper. There needs to be a re-appraisal of street parking. Ugly multi-storey car parks need to look more inviting and less threatening.

- The ring road in Leicester, presents far too many unattractive buildings. We need strict enforcement of planning laws for all future buildings. They don't have to be works of art, but they should never be plain, dull or ugly either.

I could keep going, but these are some of the things missing in Leicester.

Johned

« Reply #8 on: 09:27:51, 08/06/13 »
Leicester certainly did have a tram service until the early fifties and rattly old things they were too!  Without thought for the future along with most other city systems throughout the country however, they were swept away.  They were cheaper to run than buses and ecologically more beneficial.  Incredibly I have read that the powers that be at the time were of the opinion they were unfair competition to the bus operators and companies. 

smenard

« Reply #9 on: 04:38:17, 14/07/13 »
  So far it's doing well compare to many other countries. Although I would like to see a stronger believe in God like they use to many years ago. It will make a better place to live and a safer country for all.                                                                                                                                 

Rodders

« Reply #10 on: 23:39:05, 01/10/13 »
It's also missing a decent mayor who isn't intent on spending vast amounts of money ripping up car parks and and turning them into follys.
Leicester will become a ghost town eventually if all the car owners cant find a decent AND cheap place to park.

smenard

« Reply #11 on: 23:58:37, 06/10/13 »
I still say compare to many other places Leicester is a beautiful place to live. I am not from Leicester but I read alot about the place. First of all I do believe any foreigner moves to Leicester should obey the laws of the country not try to change them. Here in Canada young people would have a difficult time to buy a house because they are so dear. Here in Vancouver it's almost impossible for the average person to buy a house . I dont see that in Leicester. Yes parking is a problem especially at hospitals the cost is high. To have an allotment is also a problem , the city doesn't supply any in Vancouver. You may get an allotment out of town 10 to 15 milles away if your lucky. Old age senior citizens the problems is worse very little afforable housing and in Vancouver and most of them they are filled with bed bugs ect. unless you have money to get a propre place. I know of an apartment for seniors if you live there for 15 20 years and your mate dies you have to move out to a batchelor flat. I dont think any seniors need to go through that after making it your home and all the memories of your loved one . That's sad I would say. I visited Leicester a couple of times I would love to live there. The news paper company in Vancouver is going belly-up all because they cant relate to what people want . I have seen the British news papers they are the best in the world.

flyer

« Reply #12 on: 11:55:06, 09/10/13 »
Leicester is badly missing a Airport, more important the ones that only fly OUT,the last time i was in Leicester didn't know I was even in the UK

flyer

« Reply #13 on: 12:15:27, 09/10/13 »
I still say compare to many other places Leicester is a beautiful place to live. I am not from Leicester but I read alot about the place. First of all I do believe any foreigner moves to Leicester should obey the laws of the country not try to change them. Here in Canada young people would have a difficult time to buy a house because they are so dear. Here in Vancouver it's almost impossible for the average person to buy a house . I dont see that in Leicester. Yes parking is a problem especially at hospitals the cost is high. To have an allotment is also a problem , the city doesn't supply any in Vancouver. You may get an allotment out of town 10 to 15 milles away if your lucky. Old age senior citizens the problems is worse very little afforable housing and in Vancouver and most of them they are filled with bed bugs ect. unless you have money to get a propre place. I know of an apartment for seniors if you live there for 15 20 years and your mate dies you have to move out to a batchelor flat. I dont think any seniors need to go through that after making it your home and all the memories of your loved one . That's sad I would say. I visited Leicester a couple of times I would love to live there. The news paper company in Vancouver is going belly-up all because they cant relate to what people want . I have seen the British news papers they are the best in the world.
two type of news paper in the U,K the very high & the very very skuzzy low ,House's are way overpriced in Leicester and can just compare with Vancouver ,The most southern area in Canada is the Leamington (SW ont)area so very little snow &$200,000 will get u a top end house with a lake view lots of former Vancouverits including my doctor have moved here

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #14 on: 21:56:16, 29/10/13 »
Hmmmm...sunshine? Apparently the good people of Leicester suffer from one of the highest level of vitamin d deficiency!!!! An open air pool would do though O0

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.