Author Topic: Baileys night club  (Read 25405 times)

gres E

Baileys night club
« on: 18:39:13, 28/02/09 »
Anyone remember Baileys, 1975/1981?

Suze

Re: Baileys night club
« Reply #1 on: 06:24:44, 05/03/09 »
OMG do I.... :-X I had some of my best times there when I was younger... :smitten:
Suze

gres E

« Reply #2 on: 19:35:42, 11/03/09 »
   I worked at Baileys for six years. I was really into the American soul bands who played there. Great times, great memories.

Leirelass

« Reply #3 on: 16:41:33, 24/03/09 »
Loads of great international acts competing with the Knives and forks . Saw the 3 Degrees amongst others you could really dress up for a night out there, Bacardi and coke was the drink of the moment

gres E

« Reply #4 on: 17:53:22, 24/03/09 »
  I miss the dressing up. Nowadays most people just about manage smart casual to go out.
  We had a laugh one night when a new trainee chef wheeled a trolley out to a table to flame some chicken. He must have overdone the brandy because the flames instantly reached up three feet in the air. He ran off and it was left to a bouncer to drag the trolley back into the kitchen. Paul Conquest, the compere, ran onto the stage and asked people to stay calm, but I think most of the audience were doubled up laughing. Happy days.

Suky Boo

« Reply #5 on: 01:03:39, 16/10/10 »
Loved Baileys, I got asked up on stage to sing War! with Edwin Starr and to dance with the Chi Lites to Homely Girl.

bobbyb

« Reply #6 on: 22:55:09, 18/10/10 »
i was at baileys around 71-73ish. started as a glass collector ended up bar manager, fell in love with Marva one of the dancers, great times !!!!!!!!!!!!

bobbyb

« Reply #7 on: 22:57:14, 18/10/10 »
i remember all the great soul bands we had and the night Chuck berry came and nearly didn't get in as the bouncers thought he was a down and out trying to sneak in the back door

the_motownman

« Reply #8 on: 14:12:09, 09/11/10 »
i worked the door at baileys in 70s. great memories. met stars from all over the world. even abba played there before they got megabig.

jazzaroo

« Reply #9 on: 22:44:24, 08/01/11 »
I make my living as a musicvian and was taught drums by the late great John Gilbert, he was resident there for a while and i used to travel with him to other Bailey clubs and help him set up his black Ludwick drum kit, good memories

carlos24

« Reply #10 on: 22:05:35, 04/03/11 »
Saw some great acts at Baileys including Three Degrees ( they were recording a live album there) Frankie Vaughan, Norman Wisdom and Showaddywaddy in a talent show. An ex girlfriend of mine used to be a dancer there. Great Place !

gerrycammack

« Reply #11 on: 10:34:42, 06/03/11 »
Hi to you all,

I also worked there in the late 70s on the bars, i am now in my 50s and can say working there was one of the best jobs i have had.having seen all those great acts,loads of great memories,
         anyone remember big Ted. ?

disco devil

« Reply #12 on: 08:20:11, 06/04/11 »
I worked there as dj under the name of mark roberts,probably because that was my name.
It was 1979/1980. great times,be interested to speak to old friends :) 

Allycat

« Reply #13 on: 00:31:22, 07/04/11 »
Theres some more info on Bailey's here:
http://aipetcher.wordpress.com/tag/baileys-nightclub/

gres E

« Reply #14 on: 08:13:42, 09/04/11 »
I played in the house band from Nov. '74, to Dec. '80. There were some great characters on the staff. Big Ted, bars manager, Lee Curtis, DJ, Paul Conquest, compere, and many more. I just recently met ex bouncer, Frank Parish, now doing security at the Shed.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.