Author Topic: Baileys night club  (Read 22898 times)

albagman

Re: Baileys night club
« Reply #15 on: 18:25:29, 28/04/11 »
i worked as a waiter there in 1977 dave bogis dave sprowl  frank halford chico etc all the usual suspects.
great place to work

gres E

« Reply #16 on: 21:03:49, 28/04/11 »
yes, I remember Dave Bogis, the Sprowl, and Frank Halford well. You must have worked out of the waitress bar, down near the stage.
The lease is still up for grabs, but, sadly, the night club days are long gone.
Don't know if anyone remembers Dave, the keyboard player in the band. He would have been sixty at Christmas, but unfortunately passed away in October.

albagman

« Reply #17 on: 22:30:43, 28/04/11 »
no there was a kitchen bang facing the stage next to the stairs to go up to the balcony, two chefs richard and david read ran the kitchen, spent a few happy hours down in phase 2 if you remember what that was.
there was a bouncer with a large growth on his neck, cant remember his name.
alphonso was also there as a bouncer, and later in life i bumped in to chico he went into the building trade

gres E

« Reply #18 on: 08:53:32, 30/04/11 »
Yes I remember Richard and the 'staff suppers'.
The bouncer with the lump on his neck told me that it happened when he jumped out of a plane doing a parachute jump. Can't remember his name, though.
I only went down to phase two a couple of times, to help Roy, the maintenance guy, move some old tables around.

albagman

« Reply #19 on: 19:46:12, 30/04/11 »
Only reason I ever went down phase 2 was when one of our female clients needed a little extra service :D

riomick123

« Reply #20 on: 14:28:47, 01/05/11 »
I remember Chico, Alphonso. Can anyone tell me what year did heatwave appear at Bailys??

riomick123

« Reply #21 on: 14:35:53, 01/05/11 »
Did'nt Frank Halford open  The wine bar on High st ??

mandy stock

« Reply #22 on: 23:33:00, 09/05/11 »
when is there going to be a reunion, i missed the last i can remember all the ol names and the bands , well working as a waitress i met and served the stars back stage and have some brill memories,

jazzaroo

« Reply #23 on: 22:30:34, 10/05/11 »
I remember seeing bob monkhouse,thunderclap newman and the grumbleweeds, i had an aquaintance that used to supply most of the p.a equipment for the various Bailey clubs, i think that they started off in sunderland if my memory serves me correctly.

folkieboater

« Reply #24 on: 19:20:22, 13/02/12 »
Hi All,

Just found this forum/thread.

My mum worked as a cleaner in Bailey's in the early/mid 70's when I was young (probably around '74 or '75 as I think I'd just started school)

I remember a Christmas party for the staff's children - think the Waddy's were there, and I remember getting a talking doll from santa.

I also remember a great cake shop opposite - Cream (fake!!) finger doughnuts to die for :)

Frances

tigrasports

baileys nightclub
« Reply #25 on: 10:45:42, 03/11/12 »
Hi I am Gill that use to run the Baileys sales office.  My name then was Gill Tarratt and I use to run round Leicester in the Baileys mini van until it was updated to a mini.  They were fantastic days and it was just the best job ever. Coach parties came from from up to 50 miles away to see the acts. Paul Conquest and I ran a knock out competition with teams from companies in different towns. Mike Payne gave me the job of sales who I am sure everyone will remember. I worked very closely with Maggie Kerr who I am still in touch with. Big Ted the bars manager was a real character. I would love a re-union of all the staff from those days.  If you are interested please contact me on this forum.

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 23:19:09, 04/11/12 »
topics merged

gres E

« Reply #27 on: 20:55:39, 05/11/12 »
Hi, Gill. I played guitar with the band, 'Nite life' until the club became a disco. I remember you and Maggie. I kept in touch with Jim Mclaren until he moved out of Leicester. I think he's in Melton now. I'd definitely be up for a reunion. Since Dave the keyboard player died, some photo's and a video have come to light. 

tigrasports

« Reply #28 on: 21:13:20, 06/11/12 »
Hi  I am sure I would remember you when I see you. On Saturday 24 November Paul conquest  is doing a talk on Baileys at the age concern building in Wigston which is for charity at 5 a ticket.  I am going to ask him if he could help me arrange a re union as I am sure loads of people would want to come.
Gill[size=78%]

folkieboater

« Reply #29 on: 19:52:04, 12/11/12 »
I will be looking into getting a ticket for this  O0

If I have time, I will dig out any pics/memorabilia I can find.

Hope to see some of you there - though I doubt I'll remember anyone.

Frances

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester. Already a member? Login here.