Author Topic: Baileys night club  (Read 27213 times)

MAGGIE

Re: Baileys night club
« Reply #30 on: 22:13:50, 13/11/12 »
Hi there Allycat,
My name is Maggie and I worked at Baileys, from the very first day. And was there to the very end.
And by the way I designed and printed out (on an old Gestetna? print machine!!!!!) THAT Gary Glitter flyer.
Had a wonderful time over the years, really enjoyed my job, seeing people enjoying themselves.
Memories - keep them coming............

Lots of names have been mentioned and a lot more to be added yet, managers Bernie Wincop, Clive Maidens.  Stuckie and John, the sound and light guys, the little man in dispense that used to make those amazing drinks for sore throats!!!!  Graham White, Jane Reid............. there's so many more.
Look forward to seeing some old faces on the 24th.

Chazwj

« Reply #31 on: 12:43:24, 17/11/12 »
chazwj says remember baileys im still having nightmares about it. what memories
i took a young 17 year old girl there in 1973, her name was Elayne,we had only been going out for a couple of weeks.39 years later we are still together, so baileys has a lot to answer for
 she became a sunday night committee member, frank the table manager always gave us a seat at the front, and we met a variety of stars back stage
we've still got signed photos of Mud ,Marmalade, Wilme reading and our most treasured is a photo of Elayne and paul conquest on stage on elaynes 18th birthday happpy happy days :2funny:

Peter Cousins

« Reply #32 on: 10:57:24, 18/11/12 »

AN EVENING WITH  PAUL CONQUEST
COMPERE OF BAILEY’S NIGHT CLUB IN THE 1970’S
AN EVENING OF MEMORABILIA, MEMORIES AND MUSIC
SATURDAY 24TH NOVEMBER 2012
AT AGE CONCERN, PADDOCK STREET, WIGSTON
7.30PM TILL 9.45PM
Refreshments During Interval At 8.30pm
£5 PER PERSON INCLUDING REFRESHMENTS
ALL PROFITS FROM THE EVENING WILL GO TO
MCMILLAN NURSING
TICKETS FROM 0116 288 4638

ice-cream

« Reply #33 on: 19:08:27, 06/12/12 »
As a Ex Pat I've just come across this site..brought back so many memories. Although I am showing my age here.. ::) before Baileys was Baileys it was (I think) Top Rank and as a young one they used to have Saturday Morning disco's  I remember being in a dance competition with three other people on the stage...needless to say I didnt win.

Baileys was also brilliant..great acts and always packed...I was "grown" up then!!

Can anybody remember the "disco" in Horsefair Street downstairs..can't remember what it was called now!! and also the beerkeller in the market.....great times      :)

Suze

« Reply #34 on: 22:25:41, 06/12/12 »
I remember Top Rank well, I used to go every Saturday morning  :D I also remember the Beer keller and the disco, God was I ever that young ;)
Suze

ice-cream

« Reply #35 on: 17:54:00, 07/12/12 »
Its been driving me mad   :D   trying to think of the name of the disco downstairs in the market place but I think it was called the Horsefair. I was a year underage and I remember standing on the stairs qeueing working out my "pretend" age. I was so frighten that I wouldn't get in.  :2funny:

There was also Grannys on London Road..I had my 21st there.

the_motownman

« Reply #36 on: 22:36:42, 07/12/12 »
yes iy was the horsefare. good place to go. i worked the door for a while.

ice-cream

« Reply #37 on: 09:51:12, 08/12/12 »
Mowtownman where you there when Steve Wright (?) used to run the Horsefair??  :)

the_motownman

« Reply #38 on: 09:57:40, 08/12/12 »
bit before i think. mostly worked baileys. some brilliant clubs at that time. nightlife was great then all of a sudden there was nothing.

ice-cream

« Reply #39 on: 07:34:48, 09/12/12 »
Mowtownman - there was a "disco" near a bowling ally..not Warf St area but I think it must be where the Shires shopping centre is..was trying to find an old map but couldn't find anything  :-[  and also the one near St Maggies bus station..think it was called at one point the Penny Farthing??

Bet you are so glad you're not "bouncing" now I'm sure there was no where near the trouble there is today!!

the_motownman

« Reply #40 on: 09:40:47, 09/12/12 »
i remember the one near wharf st. as there was trouble on the night it opened. it should have stayed a bowling alley really. the trouble is about the same as always but the degree of individual violence seems to have increased. very sad that the young cant go out for a quiet night.

ice-cream

« Reply #41 on: 18:45:52, 09/12/12 »
Come to think of it I remember being in the Corn Exchange early evening and a flight started...glasses and bottles being thrown in the air....I don't think I've ever moved so quick  ;D

the_motownman

« Reply #42 on: 08:03:11, 10/12/12 »
it tends to kick off without much warning. if you can see it brewing then its worse when it goes up because they have been thinking about it.

Chazwj

« Reply #43 on: 17:20:18, 16/12/12 »
 ice-cream i think the disco near st peters was called the fusion, yes it was at the rear of the shires the new john lewis store is there now. i used to go there, penny farthing, grannies, corn exchange,,horsefair, happy happy days

Irishrita

« Reply #44 on: 18:00:01, 20/12/12 »
Hi any one remember Irish rita.Would love to meet up with old friends and chat about The Good Old Days.
Just turned ?? and have great memories of those days.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.