Author Topic: Baileys night club  (Read 27183 times)

Dee

Re: baileys nightclub
« Reply #75 on: 22:55:02, 11/05/15 »
Hi I am Gill that use to run the Baileys sales office.  My name then was Gill Tarratt and I use to run round Leicester in the Baileys mini van until it was updated to a mini.  They were fantastic days and it was just the best job ever. Coach parties came from from up to 50 miles away to see the acts. Paul Conquest and I ran a knock out competition with teams from companies in different towns. Mike Payne gave me the job of sales who I am sure everyone will remember. I worked very closely with Maggie Kerr who I am still in touch with. Big Ted the bars manager was a real character. I would love a re-union of all the staff from those days.  If you are interested please contact me on this forum.

Hi there I am Denise teds daughter he died but yes he was a real character eh

Tulalula

Re: Baileys night club
« Reply #76 on: 19:26:59, 07/07/15 »
I remember a coach trip from Sleaford in late 70s...Amazing saw Tavares and The Drifters...Chicken in a basket springs to mind too

ahmed ougherb

« Reply #77 on: 02:20:49, 27/02/16 »
 hi i am ahmed  from algeria the baileys for me  its  great memories , great time  ex student at leicester polytechnic  coming frorm algeria , in the baileys was my first dance ,  going to this place every monday  and friday 
i spend a lot of time i mean the great time with friends  in this wide and confortable  nignt club  , the dj was fantastique
that was fourty years ago  who doesn't know the bar manager  big ted really i miss leicester and the 354 huberstone road where i lived
oh i can't continue......

tonyk

« Reply #78 on: 21:33:15, 19/02/17 »
Hi all,

just found this thread.  My Dad used to work the door at Baileys (Bren) and met my mum there.  While he was working I used to sit with my mum up on the balcony to the right of the stage. Remember seeing the Drifters among others.

If anyone organising another reunion at some point I'm sure they'd love to know about it.

Cheers,

Tony

the_motownman

« Reply #79 on: 11:48:48, 20/02/17 »
I knew 2 brens. one was oleary ex squaddie I think.

tonyk

« Reply #80 on: 10:08:47, 23/02/17 »
Hi Mowtownman, you're right with the name but Bren's not an ex squaddie.  He is about 5'6" and has a name tattooed on his fingers.  They're still together and live in Wigston.  What's your name? Were you known as Mowtownman back then? will ask him if he remembers you.

the_motownman

« Reply #81 on: 16:42:30, 23/02/17 »
yep that's one of the guys I knew. just assumed he was ex forces. bout same size as me although I was broader. ok geezer. my name is wal. some called me wally at that time, days before it meant silly git pmsl. others at the time were, frank parish head doorman, indian called gammy or summut like that, Winston,  Ronnie heggarty ( passed away last year ). loads of others. I left and went to other nightspots around the country then into close protection. there was a reunion of sorts 3yrs ago I didn't go. some good days before the bullshit clocked on. I don't think bren was there for long, decent doorman. we opted to be called attendants then, still bouncers though. haha.

Springchicken

« Reply #82 on: 21:08:07, 25/02/17 »
Just 'avin a quiet night in looking at Marmalade videos on youtube and my thoughts turned to great nights at Baileys. Can't believe what I used to do in those days; leaving Ibstock and calling for my mate Geoff at Blaby, having a 'skinful' and dropping him back home before returning to mine about 3am. So loved Jimmy Ruffin, I saw him 3 times in a week! - think he'd broken or badly sprained his foot at the time. Was anyone at one of Alvin Stardust's shows when he made a point of mentioning his lead guitarist who was around 16 or 17 at the time; often wondered who he was and what he became?

John

Markyharley

« Reply #83 on: 10:54:25, 12/09/17 »
I was Chairmen of the Board's sound guy on a UK tour in the mid seventies and we did a week's residency at Bailey's Leicester. Stayed at the Holiday Inn and had a great week. I remember the MC's assistant called Tricia. Prettiest girl I ever saw.

the_motownman

« Reply #84 on: 22:11:20, 12/09/17 »
I was working there at that time. fantastic week. spent a lot of time with them. one of the best acts ever to appear but I was a fan from yrs before. great days

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.