Author Topic: Things you dont see anymore  (Read 20695 times)

Dennis Neal

Re: Things you dont see anymore
« Reply #90 on: 12:08:13, 28/02/11 »
I was part of the tin bath era. Dad used to light a fire under the copper in the kitchen on monday mornings, my mother then boiled the washing and we then used the water for a bath in the tin bath in the kitchen. In the winter we had the luxury of the bath in front of the living room fire. At other times we always had a kettle on the hob heating by the living room fire for a daily rub down with a cloth. Seems hard now, but it was quite normal then.
Dennis

Johned

« Reply #91 on: 16:46:15, 28/02/11 »
Commiserating with you Dennis and Jazzaroo on our mutual bathing experiences, when I got to my teens and playing rugby on Saturday afternoons and wishing to advance from the tin bath era, I discovered the local public baths which seemed the height of luxury: privacy, fleecy white towel, endless steaming hot water, clean rag for a flannel and a sliver of soap for, I think sixpence!  Emerging from that emporium in my best whistle and flute, ready for Saturday night on the town!  Oh Happy Days!

jazzaroo

« Reply #92 on: 17:50:31, 28/02/11 »
yeh,  I remember the slipper baths as i think thats what they were called, didn't have to use them too often but as johned said very handy for a spruce up before going down the palais after playing football, never understood rugby even though i played with my jazz band at martin johnsons CBE dinner in B'ham just after england won the world cup in aussie, I'm about 5'-11 with heels, and the same height with nice people(max wall 1957) but i would not pick a fight with him as he is one big fella, can't remember where the slipper baths used to be ,was it spence street? i'm pretty sure that there were not any at the aylestone baths unless I'm doing them an injustice.

Dennis Neal

« Reply #93 on: 19:23:07, 28/02/11 »
Spot on with Spence Street, used to go there myself.
Dennis

Alan

« Reply #94 on: 19:53:39, 28/02/11 »
Dennis. Vestry Street was the slipper baths off Humberstone Gate.  After that a swim in the pool.  I have a book on council houses showing copper and hand pump.  The old style kitchen. We still had them in the early sixties when we got our first house, still had the range in the living room.  We had a Mrs Currie from the housing.  Hitler had nothing on her.  No nails in walls no removing the picture rails or any changes. If she came to inspect the house as they did in them days woe betied pots on the training board.  Caught my young wife mopping the floor,  Get down on your knees and scrub the tiles.  My wife lived in fear of her. But there not so many wrecked houses in them days. 8)

Ray4711

« Reply #95 on: 01:03:30, 01/03/11 »
Many parts of Leicester in the 30s had living conditions like something from a Charles Dickens novel, and such conditions survived well into the 70s and beyond.
We lived in a 2 roomed house in Henry Street until we moved to a brand new house at New parks estate. My God the luxury of it.
Before Henry Street we lived in a house with a communal back yard.  6 houses had to share one communal tap and the toilets were situated at the back of the yard. One day some council workers came along and built an air raid shelter. It consisted of a large hole in the ground surrounded by sand bags and a metal roof covered with earth. As to it's ability to thwart a bomb is a matter of some conjecture, fortunately it was never put to the test.

My Saturday morning ritual was an early trip to the fish markets to queue up for a sixpenny rabbit, no matter the weather I had to be there.

My granddad who lived next door to us was a night watchmen come horse carer at the co-cop bakery somewhere around Bond Street. His main job was to look after the horses during the night.

Every morning he would come home with a large bag of freshly baked rolls called baby fenchies. He would makes chips and we would have buttie  rolls and sometimes an egg with it. He used to share the rolls on a rotating basis with the neighbours. One of the horses in the stable was called jasper, a most accommodating horse who seemed to like us kids sitting on his back, maybe because  we would take him treats like an apple or some sugar cubes. We scrumped the apples from a local allotment.
Ha! The kids of today, if only they knew.

Back of house 4 Henry Street

Ray4711

« Reply #96 on: 02:11:36, 01/03/11 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leicester/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8314000/8314880.stm

An interesting book about the slums of Leicester with some good photographs. 

Alan

« Reply #97 on: 19:05:48, 15/03/11 »
Anyone remember the pie and pea stall in the Market opposite the old fish market on the other side.   The Chestnuts seller on the clock tower bottom of Silver Street around Christmas.   Then speakers corner in the market.  Then what we called specking, getting damaged fruit from under the stalls.  Rose coloured glasses but good days.  The Power station pumping hot water into the canal giving us all year round swimming.  This forum brings back some lost memories.  What would today’s kids do without their games and PCs ?   8)

Allycat

« Reply #98 on: 18:48:52, 23/03/11 »
Anyone remember green shield stamps?

Ray4711

« Reply #99 on: 21:34:02, 23/03/11 »
And those cards that came in packets of tea that you saved and exchanged for gifts when you had enough of them.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #100 on: 18:11:34, 10/02/13 »
petrol served by staff...that was my first job!!! k nakers(unsure of spelling) they were two hard lethal balls on string and you banged um together!(not sure why) i also played with a tennis ball in a pair of tights..only one leg though! you had to stand against a wall and while holding the top...ball in foot bit...you bounced it off the wall at different angles!!!if that makes sence!!!  where did fish n chip crisps go and the chicken n chip ones(i loved them)

where did all the tortoises go by the way....and budgies come to think of it?????

bowbridge99

« Reply #101 on: 20:51:59, 14/03/13 »
Football at filbert street

bowbridge99

« Reply #102 on: 20:56:06, 14/03/13 »
Anyone remember the pie and pea stall in the Market opposite the old fish market on the other side.   The Chestnuts seller on the clock tower bottom of Silver Street around Christmas.   Then speakers corner in the market.  Then what we called specking, getting damaged fruit from under the stalls.  Rose coloured glasses but good days.  The Power station pumping hot water into the canal giving us all year round swimming.  This forum brings back some lost memories.  What would today’s kids do without their games and PCs ?   8)

Great photo,s ..Do you have any of jarrom street before demolition

bowbridge99

« Reply #103 on: 20:57:42, 14/03/13 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leicester/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8314000/8314880.stm

An interesting book about the slums of Leicester with some good photographs.

Great photo,s Do you have any of jarrom street before demolition

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #104 on: 21:43:59, 25/03/13 »
fish n chips wrapped in news paper!

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.