Author Topic: Brucianni's Cafe's  (Read 4185 times)

Leirelass

Brucianni's Cafe's
« on: 12:09:12, 25/03/09 »
I always used the one at the side of Lewis's there was one in Churchgate and another (I think!) near the market. Lemon buns filled with fresh cream mmmmm

flyer

Re: Brucianni's Cafe's
« Reply #1 on: 01:54:05, 09/10/09 »
which was Brucianni's (belgrave gate)? or banner's I'm ihinking London rd

Flebia

« Reply #2 on: 15:52:28, 20/10/09 »
I always used the one at the side of Lewis's there was one in Churchgate and another (I think!) near the market. Lemon buns filled with fresh cream mmmmm
I used to go in the one near the market. The Brucianni girls went to the same convent as me in the 1940s happy days

flyer

« Reply #3 on: 17:58:09, 22/10/09 »
what time frame are we looking at must be after 1969, when i left for Canada in 69 Brucianni's was still in Belgrave gate,did see on my last visit Masseralla's was running a cafe' in one of your malls ,use to run between Loughbough rd(that spelling  not right  hmm) to bath st so much change I felt complete lost

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #4 on: 00:20:36, 17/02/13 »
r e one at hee side of lewisis...i think its ill there..they used to do a great cola ice cream floater...and yummy cakes.t time i went...it was sooo expensive!!!

flyer

« Reply #5 on: 16:20:11, 17/02/13 »
1950 brucianni was across from the old Palace & Savoy in belgrave gate hangout for G.Is during the war ,and working girls long after.I think Banners was up by the train station on London rd also a place for girls of the night LOL

folkieboater

« Reply #6 on: 10:40:19, 08/05/13 »
Brucianni's is still THE place for lunch whenever I'm in town.

Cheese & beetroot cob and cherryade ice cream soda  O0

Reliving my childhood (though its now a cup of tea in the winter!!)

Frances

Ultrafox

« Reply #7 on: 12:17:26, 14/07/14 »
Hi, new member here....
being an expat now, living in Luxembourg, I have very fond memories of growing up in Leicester, and i've always been interested in its local history. (probably more so being away from home)
I start my contribution to the forum with my childhood memories of Brucciani cafes (note 2 c's and 1 n in Brucciani)  ;) .
As a kid growing up in the 60's my Hungarian father ( a refugee from Budapest 1956)  use to walk into town with me every Saturday, and part of the weekly routine was for him to have a 'pipping' (sic) hot coffee, . Note he called it  pipping hot as opposed to 'piping hot', as it was advertised at Brucciani such was his command of the English language at the time  ::) . Any I think Brucciani was the nearest thing Leicester had to his beloved coffee houses of Budapest.
My regular was a blackcurrent Ice cream soda...though a few years later I ventured into Cola Ice cream soda. Both were out of this world, and now I still make ice cream sodas at home, though Brucciani's ice cream does have a wonderful unique taste, which I can't find elsewhere.
Although most of our visits were to the coffee shop on Horsefair St, I also have vague recollections of visiting the Turkey Cafe on Granby Street. The glass doors had the coffee logo 'Kenco' on its handles. What I didn't know until just recently was that The Turkey cafe was purchased by Brucciani Bakers in 1963, so that was also a Brucciani's at one point. see "Turkey cafe" on wiki
I can still smell the aroma of the coffee. The Brucciani's in Horsefair street also had a large old fashion juke box that I kept feeding with pennies, despite not really knowing any of the music as a four year old..
Everytime I return to Leicester (at least once a year) I always visit one of the remaining Bruces' with my wife and kids, for old time sake. O0
Last year,when I visited the coffee shop in Church gate  I asked whether I could buy a  coffee cup and saucer with the Brucciani logo on as a souvenir to take home, but it seemed more that the young lady's job was worth to let me have one. :'( . My nephew said he tried again a few months later, (was going to be a christmas present for me), but alas they were having none of it. (I've thought of nicking one, but I see the statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the shops staring down at me , and think again!  8) )
Maybe Brucciani could copy Bewley's in Dublin and sell some hardware or coffee with their brand name on it. But would I be the only customer?  ;)  What do you think?
Anyway God bless and long live Brucciani's!  O0

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #8 on: 19:48:45, 23/07/14 »
How interesting...Good old Leicester has changed beyond recognition....good or bad...who am I to say.Anyway I have been researching The Bell Hotel which stood on Humberstone Gate...any memories of that????? O0

Ultrafox

« Reply #9 on: 07:56:46, 24/07/14 »
Hi,
unfortunately I have almost no recollection of what stood on the Haymarket site before the Haymarket was built. Our Saturday trips into town almost always ended up at Lewis's. What a great store that was in it's heyday! I was taken to see the Santa there every year. But that's another stoty!  ;) Maybe Lewis's deserves it's own thread.
Coming soon....  8)

Barry Pole

« Reply #10 on: 07:45:59, 29/07/14 »
This has given my memory a jolt. Brucianni we use to go to the London Road one in the 60s after Rugby Saturdays. The smell of coffee was great.

I regret now not visiting one of these 2 years ago . when I was visiting Leicester. You did well containing yourself from nicking a cup, did they have Brucianni name on the spoons ?.

Its amazing you know, our foods we ate when kids still sticks with us, mushy peas, pork pies, pickled red cabbage, etc etc, and its a good thing. Hope all who read are dong well and enjoying life.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.