Author Topic: Great War Memorials  (Read 1319 times)

Quis Separabit

Great War Memorials
« on: 14:41:45, 19/12/09 »
I have been engaged on a twenty year project to record all the names on Great War memorials in the city and county of Leicester, I have covered almost all of the main Anglican churches but would now like to turn my attention to memorials that were in churches of other denominations such as Methodist, Baptist, United Reformed etc., also in schools, factories, institutes, working mens clubs and halls that are now either closed or have been demolished. I would be most grateful if anyone with any knowledge of the existence of such memorials could let me know the location, times of access and the details of keyholders, I look forward to your response, regards
                                                                             Michael

Dennis Neal

Re: Great War Memorials
« Reply #1 on: 11:06:01, 27/11/10 »
I remember visiting a corner of Abbey Park where there was a permanent memorial to the fallen of the Great War. This was in the form of trenches and tanks. I am now in my 80's and have not lived in Leiecster for 60 years. I went to look for it about 20 years ago but unable to find it.
Dennis

Quis Separabit

« Reply #2 on: 14:55:15, 27/11/10 »
Hi Denis
          I have certainly not heard of that one, but it may be worth me mentioning it in a few quarters to see if anyone recalls seeing it, or indeed if it has been removed, its new location, many thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

Michael

dhs

« Reply #3 on: 06:57:47, 30/01/11 »
There was a plaque commemorating those who served, I think in both World Wars, in the reception area of the Towers hospital. Certainly covered WWI. Many of what were then called warders were ex-army. 

Quis Separabit

« Reply #4 on: 10:27:42, 30/01/11 »
Thanks for that information, is the Towers Hospital still open? I know Glenfrith and Carlton Hayes closed down some years ago, but having been away from Leicestershire for many years am unsure about the Towers, if it is I will obviously make a trip over to record the names, many thanks for your interest and reply, Mike

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.