Author Topic: Your first job  (Read 7099 times)

flyer

Your first job
« on: 14:20:45, 03/03/10 »
what was your first job? mine was working in the works canteen at B.T.H I was baker trainee. It was 1949, sugar still on ration but so the cakes just flew off the trollys. Before my 16 birthday i was working on my own Rolls Royce in Mount Sorrel O0 O0 O0

Allycat

Re: Your first job
« Reply #1 on: 23:07:15, 02/10/10 »
A porter at Hillcrest Hospital which used to be an old workhouse.

the_motownman

« Reply #2 on: 14:17:03, 09/11/10 »
wells and roots on parker drive. didnt last long but it was a good job. 4. 10 shillings a week.

flyer

« Reply #3 on: 01:15:11, 29/11/10 »
sounds a lot like my last job in the U.K 1964 best job i ever had i was sorry to leave Toolroom shaper

jazzaroo

« Reply #4 on: 19:58:09, 09/01/11 »
 i started work as a plumber for a so called master builder in wigston magna although thats not what i used to call him; use your imagination ,the bloke was a total prat ,the job was interesting enough until i had to unblock a manhole over some fat ladies sewer, the fact that she was grossly overwieght made it more horrible than it really was,  i always wondered if it
would have been made more pallitable had she been a thing of beauty,somehow i don't think so
 I left the following week and started an apprenticeship at Whitby's garage on the welford road, a trade that held me in good stead for the next fifty years.

shirley

« Reply #5 on: 14:42:57, 02/02/11 »
After finishing my schooling at Sir Jonathan  North girls school my first job was a juinior clerk at the Leicesteer Cooperative Socity Wheatsheaf Shoe factory on the switchboard and general office work .  I worked there under my maiden name of Lowe (shirley lowe) for quite some time learning typing in the evenings;    It was very interesting going round the factory and seeing the shoes being made and i enjoyed my first work in the office. My wage was 17s.6d.per week old money which was duly handed over to my mum as most younsters did at that time. Hours were 8.30am to 5.30pm. with an hour for lunch.All the office staff worked together in on elarge room except for 1 small rom which held the duplicationg machine and a couple of operators. I graduated into this office and loved it because the work was interesting and quieter than the general office.     I later worked in the hosiery business mainly as an overlocker simply because there was a bit more money to be earned especially if you got onto what was called "your own time" which meant you you were payed on the amount of work you did.   Great till you had short time which usually happened aboutm twice a year

Rodders

« Reply #6 on: 10:11:19, 03/02/11 »
I started work in 1960 at Dewhirst the butchers in the market approach shop which was just round the corner of Horsefair street.
I was usually down in the cellar learning how to cut joints of meat and making Pork Dripping in round metal bowls over a single gas ring on the floor (doubt that practice would be allowed nowadays)
I also made deliverys to the posh houses of Stonygate on a pushbike (large wheel at the back and small one at the front) with a large wicker basket on the front.
The best delivery tho was to the Royal Hotel on Horsefair street every day, kitchen staff took pity on me and fed and watered me every delivery.
The manager Reg Tapp was very good with the staff, more so at closing time on a Saturday when he gave everybody their weeks supply of meat free of charge.

flyer

« Reply #7 on: 11:33:28, 17/02/11 »
i started work as a plumber for a so called master builder in wigston magna although thats not what i used to call him; use your imagination ,the bloke was a total prat ,the job was interesting enough until i had to unblock a manhole over some fat ladies sewer, the fact that she was grossly overwieght made it more horrible than it really was,  i always wondered if it
would have been made more pallitable had she been a thing of beauty,somehow i don't think so
 I left the following week and started an apprenticeship at Whitby's garage on the welford road, a trade that held me in good stead for the next fifty years.
when did British united (B.U) close down, worked there for few years sad to have to leave it was a great co, never laid a single man off in the 30s depression so nobody ever left,for us young married the money was just not up to par

Rodders

« Reply #8 on: 17:51:14, 17/02/11 »
Hey jazzaroo.
You don't happen to remember a chap by the name of Harold Hutchinson that worked there do you ? (always on the borrow money wise apparently )
He lived across the road in a rented house facing Whitbys. ( I think it belonged to Whitbys)
He was my wife's stepfather and used to knock her about a bit when she was a young lass.

All in all he was a bit of an ar*ehole, anyway he's been brown bread for about 10yrs now

Mrs Chappie

« Reply #9 on: 04:52:39, 22/02/11 »
My first job was with HT Walker & Son, Accountants, on Uppingham Road. It was 1973 I think. I was the very junior member of the firm, I was on reception, and shorthand/typing. I remember once standing up to go over to Mr Walker's desk and take dictation, and falling flat on my face in front of his desk, after tripping up a bottom drawer I had left open on my desk! Talk about embarrassing!

lyndyloo

« Reply #10 on: 10:50:15, 22/02/11 »
My First Job was At Poole Lorrimar and Tabeners In Duke Street Leicester Hosiery ,I trained as an Overlocker , they made Bed jackets for Marks and Spencers and Items for British Holmes stores I continued to work in the Hosiery for 20 years after I left school and managed to learn most of the trades needed !! Back in the Day when we had a big Hosiery industry as we did Shoes and Engineering , that's when you could walk out of 1 job and by the afternoon you had got another ! So sad that we dont have any of these Factories left they were vibrant happy places were you worked hard for your money but It was well worth It !! I am glad to see though that the old Buildings most of them have been turned into Living dwellings or Bars and have not been demolished !!

shirley

« Reply #11 on: 23:06:53, 24/02/11 »
 ;) As posted earlier my first job was in the offices of CWS Wholesale Society in Knighton Fields Rd.     Later when my daughter was shool age like a lot of other married women I worked what was known as the twilight shift which meant I could go to work after my husband got home from work.I worked as a usherette at the Roxy cinema . I had the embassing moment when we had a fire drill.   We were told that the signal would be a certain piece of music playeds o as not to panic the audience and we would go to our stations   The music was!Colonel Bogie.     Fine until it happened and I did not know that music and was the only one who stood at their own spot. I learned afterwrds that it was a piece of music that everyone would know,  but  sadly not me. I was severely reprimanded

flyer

« Reply #12 on: 01:39:02, 26/02/11 »
My First Job was At Poole Lorrimar and Tabeners In Duke Street Leicester Hosiery ,I trained as an Overlocker , they made Bed jackets for Marks and Spencers and Items for British Holmes stores I continued to work in the Hosiery for 20 years after I left school and managed to learn most of the trades needed !! Back in the Day when we had a big Hosiery industry as we did Shoes and Engineering , that's when you could walk out of 1 job and by the afternoon you had got another ! So sad that we dont have any of these Factories left they were vibrant happy places were you worked hard for your money but It was well worth It !! I am glad to see though that the old Buildings most of them have been turned into Living dwellings or Bars and have not been demolished !!
Worked there also BIg but in the works canteen as baker that was in 1949-50 how time flys

jazzaroo

« Reply #13 on: 05:21:13, 07/03/11 »
Rodders, i can't place harold hutcinson,the only harold that i can remember was an old guy that used to sweep up and make the tea but he was a nice man, i was there for about three years in the mid fifties but always had a problem with the younger of the three whitby brothers that owned the place,he was another arse**** and i remember him opening doors and grovelling to city footballers and any dignitaries that came in to the garage and i remember that his employees were allowed to call him by his christian name but only if you prefixed it with Mister.  a real nasty piece of work in my opinion, it is worth mentioning that the three brothers all had brand new mark 2 ford consuls when they first came out in 1956 and the registration numbers allocated to them were BBC 1, BBC2 and BBC3, I dont know what happened to 2&3 but i can tell you that BBC1 finished up on a rolls royce belonging to a warwickshire businessman and i see it quite regularly.

Alan

« Reply #14 on: 08:35:03, 11/03/11 »
All those great Companies long gone.  Now empty factorys by the score.  8)

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester. Already a member? Login here.