Author Topic: Leicester Grammar School - 1930's  (Read 4099 times)

Gill

Leicester Grammar School - 1930's
« on: 10:03:03, 22/06/10 »
My mother - born in Leicester in 1922, passed her 11 plus and went to Grammar school in Leicester, this would have been in the 1930's. As my mother passed away when I was young - I have no way of knowing which grammar wchool she attended - I have tried to google 'grammar school-Leicester' but it is not really helpful as there apear to be several, and I am nots ure which of them would have been around in the 30's - let alone, which is the correct one.
I would love to find out more.....does anyone have any ideas please of how I can find out which school and are there any registers of pupils etc held aywhere?
Many thanks

Gill

Re: Leicster Grmmar School - 1930's
« Reply #1 on: 10:17:10, 22/06/10 »
 know its a bit of a longshot.

I have the address where my grammother lived in 1911 - but of course dont know any addresses atrer that. However it would apear that the family always lived in the same general area of St Margarets. I know that the last known address ( 1911) was in Old Mill Lane, Leicester. I understand that this was part of the inner city 'slum' area.- which would have been demolished & residents re-housed- but Im not sure when (?)

flyer

« Reply #2 on: 14:46:31, 25/06/10 »
Wigstone(is that the right spelling??) being the the main one of note but of course some other quite good ones like King Richards ,i  think that was a grammar school back then etc

flyer

« Reply #3 on: 14:52:43, 25/06/10 »
P.S it makes no difference where you lived kids traveled far and wide to go to school many by bus,my friend went to Wigstone and he lived on Loughbrough Rd

Suky Boo

Re: Leicester Grammar School - 1930's
« Reply #4 on: 00:50:35, 16/10/10 »
Girls grammar schools in the 1930s were Wyggeston Girls, Collegiate and Newarke Girls which moved from the Newarke or thereabouts to Imperial Avenue in the mid 1930s. Not sure when Alderman Newtons girls opened or Evington Hall Convent for catholic girls.

King Richards was an intermediate school for boys in Western Park.

Jan

« Reply #5 on: 06:06:39, 22/03/12 »
There was also Gateway Girls Grammar School located on Elbow Lane (in the St Margarets area)......That was also around in the 1930s and I attended that grammar school in the 1950's. It closed down in the early 60's when it was amalgamated with Alderman Newton Girls Grammar School. Class sizes were very small at Gateway Girls Grammar School (about 15 - 25 students approx) however after a great deal of peaceful protests the school was closed and appently that area has all been demolished. I now live in British Columbia but those samll class sizes were wonderful ....they led me ultimately after Nursing and Midwifery Schools to University and to Post Graduate Univ in Canada  and ultimately teaching at University in British Columbia.

lynneconnolly

« Reply #6 on: 19:40:29, 22/08/15 »
I used to live in Sanvey Gate, and I went to Newarke Girls.