Author Topic: Royal Leicestershire Regd  (Read 4217 times)

flyer

Royal Leicestershire Regd
« on: 17:36:14, 21/07/10 »
Did the Leicester's serve in Korea i know they land up in Germany around 54? but where before??

Johned

Re: Royal Leicestershire Regd
« Reply #1 on: 16:55:04, 19/11/10 »
Certainly they were in Korea and prior to that, Hong Kong. 

jazzaroo

« Reply #2 on: 05:37:32, 09/01/11 »
My Dad was a survivor of Dunkirk ,he was a regular soldier and was very proud of his association with the Tigers, my nephew has his medals including the medal for Dunkirk complete with a cerificate that was issued in the early 1980's

Johned

« Reply #3 on: 12:44:11, 09/01/11 »
Jazaroo my dad also was an ex 1st Battalion reservist who reported to Glen Parva three days before war was declared.  He too was a Dunkirk survivor and has the French campaign medal but he had been transferred to the Worcestershire Regiment and later served with them in India and Burma.

jazzaroo

« Reply #4 on: 18:01:35, 09/01/11 »
Hi Johned, what a coincidence as my father was a reservist and was also stationed at Glen Parva which was not far from our family home, I remember waiting outside of the barracks with my mother to await the arrival of his unit who had to march from the city centre.
I only have one photo of dad with his fellow mates that was taken somewhere in the middle east in front of their armoured car, If you want a copy my email addy is roy'[email protected]
given the coincidences so far there might be someone on the photo that you might recognise,stranger things have happened !!

jazzaroo

« Reply #5 on: 17:31:27, 10/01/11 »
my sister who lived in south wigston around 1940 has told me about the troop trains carrying  wounded soldiers used stop at the local station so that they could make their way to Glen Parva barracks,they were known as the walking wounded apparently and some of them were in a really bad state,despite this they had to make their to the barracks unaided, Glen Parva was only down the road but it must have seemed miles away to the poor guys. she said that when a troop train was due all other trains in the vicinity were put on hold until the troops were at the station, all this was before my time so I'm just passing on what she told me as it might be of interest.

Johned

« Reply #6 on: 18:29:43, 10/01/11 »
Hi Jazaroo; tried to mail you using your e-mail address but no joy.  Is it correct as stated?

jazzaroo

« Reply #7 on: 20:21:32, 10/01/11 »
Johned, my email address is [email protected] and its working fine,will look forward to your mail

Johned

« Reply #8 on: 20:26:32, 10/01/11 »
Gottcha Jazaroo have sent you an e-mail with, hopefully, correct address.

David

« Reply #9 on: 16:01:06, 27/02/11 »
I was stationed at Glen Parva for National Services training in 1956 then sent to Cyprus for two years.

jazzaroo

« Reply #10 on: 16:52:15, 27/02/11 »
david, i lived only a short distance from glen parva barracks when you were there, fortunately I  managed to miss national service by a whisker much to my dads annoyance who was stationed  there as a regular soldier during WW2 i remember the search lights from the barracks identifying the planes around 1945.

David

« Reply #11 on: 18:41:50, 27/02/11 »
Hi Jazzaroo
 I started in December 1956 did my training then a couple of weeks leave then off to Cyprus in C company 9 platoon

Johned

« Reply #12 on: 19:04:01, 27/02/11 »
I see you were in 'C' company David with the 1st Battalion. If you so wish, please advise me your e-mail address, I would like to compare notes with you about those days and any mutual acquaintances we may have had although my service ended in May 1955.

David

« Reply #13 on: 13:51:04, 28/02/11 »
Go on to oralhistory.co.uk it is on the bottom of the home page

kael

« Reply #14 on: 08:54:07, 01/03/11 »
Speaking of the Tigers, do you think they will refit the Magazine as the Regiments official museum? I love the Newarke, but i'd love to see the Magazine - with new pedestrian access - open.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.