Author Topic: House prices in Leicester  (Read 1670 times)

luci

House prices in Leicester
« on: 13:41:02, 06/10/10 »
I've been renting a flat for a couple of years. it's a nice place but small which is ok for me. however I have been desperately trying to get on the housing ladder. Prices have dropped slightly, but even the cheapest houses in a semi-decent area are still to much for me to afford a mortgage. Will house prices ever return to sanity?                   

Chris

• Administrator
Re: House prices in Leicester
« Reply #1 on: 20:31:29, 13/10/10 »
Hi Luci,

Welcome to the forum.

I think you are right about the housing market being overheated. It goes up and down in cycles lasting around 10-15 years. House prices go up, eventually becoming unaffordable. Then wages catch up and prices start to look affordable again. And so the cycle continues. I reckon we are now on the downward leg of the cycle.

What kind of house are you looking for?

El Dude

« Reply #2 on: 12:51:06, 18/10/10 »
I've been renting a flat for a couple of years. it's a nice place but small which is ok for me. however I have been desperately trying to get on the housing ladder. Prices have dropped slightly, but even the cheapest houses in a semi-decent area are still to much for me to afford a mortgage. Will house prices ever return to sanity?

Do you think you have a god-given right to own a house, no matter how little you earn?

flyer

« Reply #3 on: 18:26:11, 27/10/10 »
yes

luci

« Reply #4 on: 19:38:31, 29/10/10 »
I dont think I have any god given right. But is it too much too ask for prices to return to what they were say 10 yrs ago?

Chris, a decent two bed terrace house or town house would be nice. Not bothered about the area, so long as not a slum. But theres nothing really below 70,000, the most I can get a morgage for.

flyer

« Reply #5 on: 11:33:27, 01/11/10 »
It cost no more to build a house here than in U.K yet here one can buy a new 4 bedroom house for less than 100 thousand pounds I just bought a very nice 4 bed ranch in a great location by the lake for 70, I think people trying to buy in U.K are getting ripped off big time

luci

« Reply #6 on: 01:02:19, 03/11/10 »
Where do you live flyer? Sounds like my kinda place.

flyer

« Reply #7 on: 20:36:46, 03/11/10 »
KIngsville Ontario Canada very nice and if you want all the busy life Windsor is just half hour down the road with lots to do there,car industry was pulling back so houses can be purchased very cheap i see them as low as $60,000 that around 30,000 pounds

luci

« Reply #8 on: 16:48:51, 04/11/10 »
Nice. Alas the commute into Leicester would take a bit too long for me.  :P But it goes to show just how berserk UK house prices are.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.