Author Topic: Claim to fame - What is yours ?  (Read 2045 times)

luci

Claim to fame - What is yours ?
« on: 20:01:59, 29/10/10 »
I was at school with Gok Wan (the fashion tv presenter). 8) O0

jazzaroo

Re: Claim to fame - What is yours ?
« Reply #1 on: 20:50:58, 10/01/11 »
I used to work on Gordon Banks car in the early sixties just after he joined Leicester city,really nice guy and his car was a 1958 standard eight although if asked he would probably deny owning such a heap'  in 1987 i was on stage playing support to american jazz guitar legend Barney Kessel, sounds like a cliche but another really nice bloke.

sssssssssnake

« Reply #2 on: 23:02:26, 22/12/11 »
went to school and played football with Peter Shilton.played football with Ray Clemence. did support Gig with Cream at Notts uni 1968. sat next to Gary Moore in brighton cafe.cut Gok Wans hair when he was about 1 year old.

jazzaroo

« Reply #3 on: 23:24:01, 22/12/11 »
HI sssnake,  you sound like you have had an interesting lifesyle,I've been around a long time so its inevitable that i have met and worked with many famous people whilst on the music scene, too many to mention here and I'm not into dick measuring so i won't mention any names as its just part of the job, I never met Shilts although i did play at a garden party next door to him when he lived near nuneaton, my brother played against him and scored when shilts was playing for blaby boys(i think) so he said , and i believe him as he is a non bull**** person and was a decent footballer, only one question, who the hell is Gok Wan, sounds like something from a chinese take away ?

sssssssssnake

« Reply #4 on: 00:21:54, 23/12/11 »
lol  hes the geezer on the telly who does the remakes on cloths for women etc. his mum and dad had a chinese restuarant across the road from the barbers shop where i work,thats how i got to cut his hair, i loved your reply :)

sssssssssnake

« Reply #5 on: 00:22:38, 23/12/11 »
oh and yes he did play for Blaby boys.

sssssssssnake

« Reply #6 on: 00:24:29, 23/12/11 »
are you a jazz musician, whats your instrument if so?
im trying to play  reharmonised   great american standards ala David sundnow method and also Willie Myette jazz piano.com site, its bloody hard for me :)

jazzaroo

« Reply #7 on: 02:29:06, 23/12/11 »
yeh, my roots are in RnRoll but i have played with trad,modern and swing bands for many years as a drummer,nothing too way out ,until recently i was playng in a oscar peteresson type trio with a brilliant piano player name of George Taylor, older people on here would remember him from the Hedley Ward Trio who were very big in their day, he has only just retired at the age of 84,  i do more solo keyboard work now and its quite lucrative but its contempory popular stuff,  i can't play jazz piano,i believe that improvision is a natural talent which sadly i don't possess, i always liked peteresson, shearing .teddy wilson, dudley moore and Nat Cole, but was never into people like bill evans and his like who never stated the tune and I'm not embarrassed to say that i do not understand complicated chord inversions as i think that they get too far away from the melody, just my opinion but thats how it is. 

sssssssssnake

« Reply #8 on: 08:20:25, 23/12/11 »
sounds great. im sorry if i gave the wrong impression but the style of piano is more the melody with a few colour tones underneath, even the original chords from the older somgs are lovely.what keyboard do you use to gig. sounds like youve had a great music life. do you remember the drum centre in leicester in northampton street run by chris lewitt?

jazzaroo

« Reply #9 on: 18:24:25, 24/12/11 »
HI sssssnake, I play a yamaha tyros 2 keyboard and its perfect for what i do, 0k its a work station but the variation of sounds enables me to play almost anyhing from Abba to shearing as well as classical stuff, alot of piano players can't compete because they only have piano with its limited sounds although technically they are miles better than me, i was taught drums in the early seventies by John Gilbert from drumland on the mellton road ,great player even better teacher, good mate but he sadly died a couple of years ago, as you obviously share my passion for music, my email addy is [email protected] if you want to chat further and it would save clogging this thread with our personal chat,  cheers and merry xmas etc.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.