Author Topic: Freecycle vs. Streetbank  (Read 1144 times)

mimapuddleduck

Freecycle vs. Streetbank
« on: 11:58:32, 09/12/10 »
Does anyone have strong feelings about the benefits/pitfalls of sites like Freecycle or Streetbank?  Am thinking of lending out some of my garden tools but don't want to be bombarded with spam.

Thanks,

Mima

Stefan Stefanovich

Re: Freecycle vs. Streetbank
« Reply #1 on: 14:19:37, 09/12/10 »
My view is that freecycle currently has more stuff but Streetbank is a very interesting concept - userfriendly, much more local and therefore means it is more relational and friendlier, you can borrow things as well as pick things up for free. With a few more in Leicester it could work really well. I've joined and not been spammed. I've put a bunch of things up - would be GREAT to get a few more on board!

Rodders

« Reply #2 on: 09:26:01, 10/12/10 »
I have had a look at the streetbank site but not registered as of yet, I think I would be a bit wary of lending out any tools for fear of getting them back broken or not at all.

Stefan Stefanovich

« Reply #3 on: 18:01:43, 10/12/10 »
There is a risk but it is small and I reckon the more you trust people the better they behave. I have a theory that by trusting people you give them a sense of value that they don't want to lose. Still just in case I've put on lower value items like DVDs and fancy dress gear just in case. The less we trust the worse the world becomes even if it is frustating/painful when that trust is abused.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.