Author Topic: Palace Theatre  (Read 11448 times)

Flebia

my mother used to take me to the palace in the late forties/early fifties, I saw many acts there and i remember it with affection, as for the floral hall, what a scary place that was, you had to walk down a dimly lit tunnel that used to remind ne of a London undergound station to enter the cinema through a curtain, it remains the darkest cinema that it has been my experience to visit and did attract some very strange people.

Flebia

Re: Palace Theatre
« Reply #31 on: 10:19:05, 22/02/11 »
I was born in in 1932 and lived in Leicester until 1962. from the age of about 11 to 14 I had a friend who's father, Ernie ? Jackson, was the drummer in the band at the Palace Theatre and we often got in to see the variety shows free. The Floral Hall cinema still had the gas lighting in the long dark corridor we queued up in when I went there in the early 50s. I hated it was always very damp and smelly in there'

Chrisabelle

« Reply #32 on: 05:39:35, 24/04/11 »
I remember the Palace Theatre, I attended ballet with Miss Bici on High Street, we did a show there in 1956 (I was 14 at the time) the show was called "Carnival Moments", very fond memories of it. I wonder if that building is still there!

flyer

« Reply #33 on: 10:59:40, 24/04/11 »
I was born in in 1932 and lived in Leicester until 1962. from the age of about 11 to 14 I had a friend who's father, Ernie ? Jackson, was the drummer in the band at the Palace Theatre and we often got in to see the variety shows free. The Floral Hall cinema still had the gas lighting in the long dark corridor we queued up in when I went there in the early 50s. I hated it was always very damp and smelly in there'
Damp and smelly that was just some of the old pervert;s that went in there, as a kid we aways had to change seats a number of times,never complain just get up and move

Flebia

« Reply #34 on: 17:00:01, 24/04/11 »
woops!  I didn't know about the pervs !

flyer

« Reply #35 on: 19:07:17, 24/04/11 »
woops!  I didn't know about the pervs !
yes we had to grow up very street wise

jazzaroo

« Reply #36 on: 21:26:17, 30/07/11 »
I never came across any pervs at the palace theatre but i do remember that the floral hall cinema that was underneath the theatre had more than its fair share, i did do a piece about the floral somewhere on here in the past ,but no matter

flyer

« Reply #37 on: 20:09:07, 31/07/11 »
think u are right I;m thinking It may have been the Savoy in Belgrave gate what was the name of the one in the market place.is silver st runs off Humberstone gate by the greasy hot dog bus???

jazzaroo

« Reply #38 on: 21:56:00, 31/07/11 »
Flyer, my memories are fading now of the old town, but I think that the opera house was in Silver street, the picture house was off granby street ,might have been in Bishop street and the palais de dance was in humberstone gate, plenty of pervs in there (so i was led to believe) can't think of any more seedy places around that area although there was always the cameo in High street and i remember  that the trocadero had a reputation for fleas, nice eh, anymore thoughts let me know,

flyer

« Reply #39 on: 14:08:55, 02/08/11 »
No the troc was a good clean place Iworked there late 50s early 60s use to live on Humberstone drive back then

jazzaroo

« Reply #40 on: 15:00:43, 02/08/11 »
  Re the Troc    I stand corrected as it was only rumours probably based on the Netherwood est being not too far away, not really my side of town although i was involved with the drumland shop near checkets road and had relatives on the northfield estate which made the saff look like disneyland, I used to stay over there sometimes but it used to give me the creeps as you could see the loony bin from their bedroom window and their were many scary stories about that place as i remember, probably mostly unfounded but they should have used it as a backdrop for hammer horror movies along with carlton hayes at narborough, I played cricket their once and i remember that no one would field on the boundary because of loonies lurking in the bushes, not very PC but sod it.

Johned

« Reply #41 on: 14:27:50, 04/08/11 »
Never thought the Troc was so downmarket as to be flearidden.  In 1954 I was one of the army guard of honour from Glen Parva lining the steps for the premiere of "The Colditz Story" which was held there instead of London because Eric Portman's part as the Senior British Officer was in real life a Leicestershire Regt officer Colonel German and they wished to have a local connection. 

jazzaroo

« Reply #42 on: 16:06:22, 04/08/11 »
HI Johned, well you learn something everyday, i lived on the Eyres monsell est in 54 and was only a short distance from the barracks but i never knew about the colditz thing or eric portman being a local, having said that i only found out recently that Richard and david Attenborough were from Leics, i always confused them with the Dimbleby family as some of them used to live at Rothley nr birstall , the red lion pub there was run by Richard dimbleby's brother, useless info but I've just remembered it.

Johned

« Reply #43 on: 17:49:07, 04/08/11 »
Hi Jazaroo - I did not wish to infer Eric Portman was a local but the character he played in "The Colditz Story" film was Colonel German of the Leicesters and I think from a prominent Leics farming family.  Strange how the mind works; wife and I watched a film on TV last night starring Keir Dullea now an elderly man and I recalled we saw him when much younger with Anne Heywood in the film drama "The Little Foxes" screened at Eastbourne many years ago when on holiday there.  I then recalled A.H under her real name of Violet Pretty (and she certainly was) one time Miss Great Britain appearing with Fred Emney at the Palace Theatre in 1955.  She later morphed into Anne Heywood, went to Holywood and the rest is history!  What became of her?  ;)   

flyer

Re the Troc    I stand corrected as it was only rumours probably based on the Netherwood est being not too far away, not really my side of town although i was involved with the drumland shop near checkets road and had relatives on the northfield estate which made the saff look like disneyland, I used to stay over there sometimes but it used to give me the creeps as you could see the loony bin from their bedroom window and their were many scary stories about that place as i remember, probably mostly unfounded but they should have used it as a backdrop for hammer horror movies along with carlton hayes at narborough, I played cricket their once and i remember that no one would field on the boundary because of loonies lurking in the bushes, not very PC but sod it.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.