Author Topic: Sweets when you were a kid.  (Read 6196 times)

Dennis Neal

Re: Sweets when you were a kid.
« Reply #15 on: 14:15:22, 13/12/10 »
I am 82 and still have my own teeth, during the war years and up until about 1952 we had a very tiny sweet ration.
During the war we had many substitutes like a stick of rhubarb with a little bit of sugar.
In many ways it was tough having little food and never enough money but everyone was fit and slim.

Dennis

Johned

« Reply #16 on: 19:26:57, 13/12/10 »
During the war, chocolate was practically unavailable except for Cadburys "Ration" chocolate which was a very dark mystery and tasted pretty awful.  A very bright spot for me was when my uncle who was in the RN gave me a half pound bar of Cadbury's peacetime standard Fruit and Milk Nut which he had bought in the USA.  His ship had put into New London, Connecticut for a refit and I got the chocolate and my mother a pair of nylons!   

Dennis Neal

« Reply #17 on: 11:51:23, 23/12/10 »
I remember when I could take a farthing to the corner shop and get a few dolly mixtures in a bit of newspaper twisted into a cone.
For the uninitiated, a farthing was a quarter of a penny in the days when money had meaning.
Dennis

Johned

« Reply #18 on: 20:10:22, 24/12/10 »
I think money still has meaning Dennis but I guess I can't interpret it, that's why I have been impecunious since I retired!

jazzaroo

« Reply #19 on: 05:28:21, 09/01/11 »
, we had to use ration book coupons to obtain sweets when i was a kid so the supply was limited, thats probably why i still have my own teeth at 70, i lived on the saff and there was a green hut on the fringe of elston playing fields that was a sweet shop for years, i think that it was called Boyers but I'm not sure, its the only place i knew at that time that used open on Sundays which was unheard of in those days

shirley

« Reply #20 on: 23:42:36, 10/01/11 »
how about licquorish root and khali fishes    luverly

Alan

« Reply #21 on: 17:19:48, 23/02/11 »
  Foxes Glacier Mints York Road making for the forces I think. Jump down the unloading slide into the basement, grab a few sweets and run for the door with a clip round the ear if caught. Good days, The day sweet rationing ended waiting outside the local shop with ten bob.
Alan  8)

jazzaroo

« Reply #22 on: 17:50:33, 23/02/11 »
if anyone has cause to visit Broadway in the cotswolds there is a replica sweet shop from the good old days selling most of the things mentioned on this forum, they have the old glass jars and the scales are in pounds and ounces so that you can buy a quarter of sweets as it was during the rationing period, they have a good stock of the old sweets many of which i had forgotten,worth a visit if you are in the area, I'm sure that there will be other shops around with the same idea but this is the only one that i know of.

Alan

« Reply #23 on: 08:43:38, 24/02/11 »
  There are several replica old shops (not working) in the Newark Museum they bring back memories. Alan  8)

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.