Author Topic: Kenwood open air swimming pool  (Read 9586 times)

shirley

Kenwood open air swimming pool
« on: 12:25:40, 02/02/11 »

Does anyone else remember the Kenwood open air swimming pool at Knighton.    It use to be a favourite place in the summer especially in the school holidays.  It was very nicely laid out  with grassed areas and some paved ones which used to get quite hot when it was a sunny day and so were very nice to lie on. It also had a small cafe where you could get drinks, ice creams and crisps etc.There was a small shallow pool for babies and toddlers and the main pool which had a floating raft which everyone wanted to try and get onto. A bit difficult especially if several people were trying at the same time. there was also a horse looking thing which was similar in that it was very hard to get onto as if you got the balance wrong it would buck you off into the water.  We used to go for the day in the holidays and it was very popular.  There was a tiered fountain which we usedto climb up and try to get onto the top,  It was a lovely place but as with a lot of things the powers to be decided it would be better used as a building lot for houses or factories (i can'nt remember which I remember there was a big outcry at the time because people wanted. to keep it as a swimming pool and a petion was signed by a lot of people but to no avail.  Shame particularly as i can only remember one other open air pool and that was the Leicester Lido which i only used once and did'nt think it a patch on Kenwood.    Ah those blissful summer days!           

Rodders

Re: Kenwood open air swimming pool
« Reply #1 on: 10:45:30, 03/02/11 »
Ah yes, Kenwood open air pool, I remember it well, I was a visitor most summer weekends, (when summer meant glorious sunny and hot days) crying shame it was closed.
And yes there are houses there now.

My parents wouldn't allow me to go to the Lido as it was too far across town.  :(

shirley

« Reply #2 on: 13:05:04, 03/02/11 »
       AH!   we were allowed to go usually accompanied by an adult who i don't know whether voluntarily or parents ran a pool!.     when we got a bit older we went in a group and walked from the Saff through to Knighton. Right end of town but still a good way to walk.    Oh to be young and have all that energy we did'nt know what to do with.

Rodders

« Reply #3 on: 00:45:47, 06/02/11 »
       AH!   we were allowed to go usually accompanied by an adult who i don't know whether voluntarily or parents ran a pool!.     when we got a bit older we went in a group and walked from the Saff through to Knighton. Right end of town but still a good way to walk.    Oh to be young and have all that energy we did'nt know what to do with.

Hey shirley, do you originate from the Saff ?
I have lived on it for 40 odd years now.

shirley

« Reply #4 on: 15:11:57, 07/02/11 »
hi Rodders

Yes  I lived on the Saff from about the age of four. Went to the Newry school and later Sir Jonathon North girls school. First job was at C>W>S Wheatsheaf shoe works in the office and then in the hosiery at a factory (Swans)  near the footie ground.    Moved onto the Monsell estate when they were built and was there till I married.
Its nice reading stuff from old Saffies as they remind me of things long forgotten.   We like most other people I know were hard up but we still managed some great times and had lots of fun.   We lived on Meadow gardens which was close to the Linwood Lane Boys school where both my brothers attended.  Yeah bad news there is another Jazaroo ( younger brother)  Leicester has certainlt changed over the years and I don'nt know my round the city any more.    When I visited the Saff earlier in the year I hardlt recognized some of the places I knew so well. but thats life. Most folk would'nt recognize me any more. I think it was a nicer place to live then and certainly a lot more community spirit. Your could go out and about and not have to lock your  doors and there was always a frie dly neighbour to tell your parents if you were seen doing anything that was not allowed,  Oh happy days

Johned

« Reply #5 on: 16:37:56, 07/02/11 »
We all look at the past through somewhat rose tinted spectacles; it was'nt all sweet reason and light.  I have vague memories about 1948 going with my cousins, who lived just off Duncan Road, to the Aylestone Indoor Baths and I got into some sort of altercation with some other kid whilst there and I'm sure he thumped me!  Funny how that insignificant little item came back to me after all these years through reading about the Kenwood pool.

shirley

« Reply #6 on: 18:24:01, 07/02/11 »

johned                 
Oh dear   I hope my post on the swimming
baths was'nt too painfull.     No I agree it was not all sweetness and light. It was quite rough in some quarters, I was meaning in   general.
I agree how some things trigger other memories that are quite remote from each other and makes you wonder where is the connection.
Hope ity triggers some more pleasant and less painful memories    Hope it moves you to happier things.  I had relatives living on Duncan road for years  but sadly they are no more.

shirley

« Reply #7 on: 18:59:03, 07/02/11 »

:) Hi Rodders.   Not sure that I am on the right page but have just been reading earlier posts and noticed that we both went to the same places,  Kenwood swimming pool and the Granby Halls.      I used to go roller skating there about 3 times a week and used to have a great time.Are you still living in Leicester or are you an exile now. Its certainly changed a bit from when we lived there but progress!
It still looks very queer when yo0u pass where the Granby Halls was but its some time nowi since it went. It was there for such a long time that you still expect it to be there.My mother and brothers were brought up in Broughton Road after being born in the Wharf street area which was clearded  We also had relatives in Duncan Rd., we used to collect acorns from the little spinney near shackerdale farm and take them to the farm and wsop them for apples for mam to make pies or hay to bed the rabbitts with.      Just remembered the acorns and the swaps so just added them to this post.

jazzaroo

« Reply #8 on: 01:58:55, 08/02/11 »
trust my sister to come up with places that i disliked!  I've always hated swimming and it took years before i had the confidence to pluck up the courage to learn , I can swim just about but I'm still not happy about being out of my depth, I remember standing on the diving board at Kenwood lido and feeling very brave until i realised that a queue had formed behind me and were waiting for me to jump, I bottled it of course but it  was scary as i thought that they were going to push me in assuming that i could swim, I have worse memories of the Aylestone baths, i used to have to go with the school and i remember the water always seemed to be cold, and the teacher leching at us over the cubicle door as we were getting changed, perverts in those days, never!!!  I contracted Rheumatic fever and was seriously ill for  almost a year and I'm sure that this was the result of not drying myself properly  as the teacher used to rush us to get changed so that he could get home early. the other thing that i remember was that some kids had no bathing trunks so the baths supplied these horrible grey ill fitting trunks known to everyone as cossies ,.they hardly ever used to fit and when they got wet they expanded and did cause some embarrassing moments for the unfortunate wearer
as for Duncan road ,we named it Drunken road after the Duncan road club on the corner of Saffron Lane, I only frequented it once ,that was enough for me.

Johned

« Reply #9 on: 10:59:22, 08/02/11 »
Shirley my Duncan Road relatives all later emigrated to Oz and sadly are now no longer with us!  I recall their home was very handy for the cricket ground and the Aylestone cinema.
Fond memories.

shirley

« Reply #10 on: 12:58:56, 08/02/11 »
 ;)
  Oh yes the cricket ground was visited by my grandad regularlt as he had a season ticket and spent most of the summer there.
The Aylestone Cinema is where I used to spend a lot of time mainlyas I was lucky to be able to get in free because I knew someone who worked there. Well you have to take any advantages going!.
I also used the Aylestone swimming baths quite a lot especially in the winter when Kenwood was closed.  What a shames it closed and was badly missed, but I suppose that houses are important as folk have to have somewhere to live.

jazzaroo

« Reply #11 on: 18:55:08, 08/02/11 »
johned , we had relatives also in Duncan road, they were a big family and they lived at the top end opposite the shops and they too had good access to the cricket ground and the cinema, I don't suppose they are still there now, but i remember that their neighbours were the onion family ( or possibly O' Nions) who were well known window cleaners in the area, the houses were quite large as i remember, good thing as large families were quite common at that time.

Oggy

« Reply #12 on: 11:33:26, 22/06/13 »
I also remember the Kenwood.  I lived on the Monsell, but we would walk all the way to the baths with our sandwiches and bottles of pop.  I still have a scar on my eyebrow after being accidentally being hit with a pop bottle being swung around by one of the girls called Anne.  Boy was I made a fuss of! Anne lived on the Saffy as well but I can't remember her last name.  My first job was at Equity shoes on the corner of Grace road and Saffron Lane.  I went out with a lovely girl called Ina who lived on Saffron Lane, up until I joined the RAF.

Arnie Ward

« Reply #13 on: 10:39:43, 24/07/13 »

Kenwood Lido was a quick walk from our house on Knightonchurch Road, hard to believe the Council numpties replaced this well loved amenity with some dreary houses.

flyer

« Reply #14 on: 12:35:41, 24/07/13 »
Funny how councils are the same the world over they must have a fun squash meter build in before they get the job :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.