Author Topic: Bond street maternaty hospital  (Read 10438 times)

TINAHARRISON

Re: Bond street maternaty hospital
« Reply #15 on: 22:01:10, 17/11/11 »
Thanks will take a peep! Can I get this over the internet? ???

grapes

« Reply #16 on: 21:29:03, 16/12/11 »
I'm brand new to this forum but was idly reading it and came across this topic. My late mother-in-law was a midwife at Bond St. I'm guessing that she retired in the 1960s. I have a brother who was born there in the late 1940s and I was born in Westcotes Maternity Hospital (also mentioned above) in the 1940s. Do I get a prize for three references?

flyer

« Reply #17 on: 14:17:40, 13/01/12 »
you sure do, your next bith is free, lets see born in 40 so that will be a 72 delivery ,i think i can spring for that

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #18 on: 21:09:31, 15/02/12 »
Hi I have tried to locate the photos that you said were in Novembers Chronical however have not had any luck!do you have a web address or any further info so I can get hold of them? King Regards Tina

suzannewozere2

« Reply #19 on: 17:46:41, 18/02/12 »
Hi my mum was born in 1941 reputedly in Oadby after being evacuated there. It was supposed to be a large half timbered building but I am wondering whether it could in fact have been Bond Street. Has anybody got any ideas?

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #20 on: 20:19:24, 22/02/12 »
Hi,
Not had much luck with regards to any photos of Bond street hospital! but will keep trying and let you know if it is built of wood!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Colin

« Reply #21 on: 22:57:35, 18/03/12 »
There are a few photos and some memories of Bond Street and the Faire Hospital on You Tube if you search for 'Leicester Oral History Trail. 7 - Causeway Lane'.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #22 on: 21:38:13, 27/02/13 »
hi colin...yes watched it....it was fab! i felt for the man who had to have his teeth out!!!!ouch :-[

lilian gargiulo

« Reply #23 on: 00:41:11, 08/05/13 »
I was born there in 1945

flyer

« Reply #24 on: 12:27:04, 08/05/13 »
Oh just a young sprig of a kid then ;D ;D ;D ;D

alex

« Reply #25 on: 15:36:13, 25/05/13 »
I had my eldest son in Bond Street Maternity Hospital in 1965.   It was a row of old terraced houses that had been converted (well thats how it looked).    I did not enjoy my week there as I was stuck in a tiny room and I felt forgotten  :'(   ahh!!   I remember when my mum came to visit,  the matron (a very forbidding German lady) had a real go at her because you were only allowed one visitor and my husband was already there.   Mum argued back as she had come a fair way - boy did I get it in the neck from Matron when my visitors had gone !!     Had my next child at home.  ::)

flyer

« Reply #26 on: 01:30:23, 26/05/13 »
hi colin...yes watched it....it was fab! i felt for the man who had to have his teeth out!!!!ouch :-[
Now on the right hand side going down Bond st was the Expresso bar where i met my wife that was 1959 so before or after the visit one drop in for a yummy bacon & mushroom bun dont remember a lot about the hospital but those buns :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

cherokeedee

« Reply #27 on: 09:49:14, 03/07/13 »
I was in Bond Street Maternity Hospital in 1964 and 9167, Both experiences were really awful, so I am pleased the bad memory has been obliterated. The nursing staff were not very helpful to the point of being rude. I had both my children by C Section. I was shocked at the state of the hospital for such a large city as Leicester. Basically is was old houses knocked together, really cold and very small.  But hey ho that was years ago.

cherokeedee

« Reply #28 on: 09:54:02, 03/07/13 »
Oh yes I remember that formidable German FRAU in charge, the sisters were not much better. Had  sPANISH DOCTOR WHO COULD NOT SPEAK OR UNDERSTAND ENGLISH  WELL TIME HAVE NOT CHANGED THEN!!
But we survived and got home as fast as we could.
There was no advice, help or sentiment in that place, SHUT IN TINY AIRLESS AND UNDERHEATED ROOMS. I had to ask for newspaper to bock out the draughts.

TINAHARRISON

« Reply #29 on: 23:26:44, 03/07/13 »
How awful when the most wonderful experience is dampened by unsympathetic staff...who are women !!!there are some things that are definitely better for change....I was born there and my mum has also told me how wicked the sisters were...and I don't mean in a good way

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.