Author Topic: Murder on Elm Street  (Read 528 times)

Wyvernian

Murder on Elm Street
« on: 19:48:23, 30/12/18 »
Hello all and season's greetings.
I wonder if anyone can help me with something that I've been trying to research for some years. Back in the 60's or possibly very early 70's, there was a murder on Elm Street, where my grandparents lived.
Elm Street is long gone, but used to be adjacent to Forest Road, along with Oak and Ash Street.
I'm guessing l was around ten years old and I used to spend the weekdays of school holidays with my grandparents, as both my mum and dad worked full time. When l arrived one morning I vividly remember that bloodstains on the pavement had been covered with dustbin lids. There was talk of a drunken fight, and of a Scotsman being involved. I'm not sure if he was the victim or the killer, or indeed whether it wasn't simply gossip. Apparently the victim had been stabbed.
My grandparents didn't really say much in answer to my questions. In those days terraced streets were still very tight knit communities and very judgemental. I imagine the "respectable" folk of the street preferred to sweep it under the carpet.
To be honest, l soon lost interest. I had a lot of friends around there and we had plenty to keep us occupied. It's only as I've become older that I've become curious. Murders didn't seem so commonplace then, but I can't seem to find anything about it.
Any help most appreciated.

Tina Harrison

Re: Murder on Elm Street
« Reply #1 on: 19:58:39, 05/01/19 »
Seasons Greetings
My advice would be to look at the local newspapers at the time.
I do recall the Green Bicycle murder...which was never solved.
Good luck with your research!

Winker

Re: Murder on Elm Street
« Reply #2 on: 10:03:58, 20/07/19 »
I came accross your post whilst reasearching my childhood memories of Leicester. I can't help with your enquiry, but I used to live with my parents on Elm street between 1956 and 1960ish. I was six years old when we left. Had fond memories of the area despite it being pretty poor at the time. Used to play with a boy called Paul who lived on the opposite side of the road. Used to go to the school on Green Lane Road. I remeber wiating to hear the factory hooter sound when it was time for the workers to retun after lunch. That was also our reminder to return to school. Interesting to think of these old memories.

To reply please join us (it's free) and help create a useful online community for the people of Leicester.  Already a member? Login here.